PlayStation 4 to Feature Voice Recognition, Play While Download Hits PS3
By Gilda Galang | May 20, 2013 11:52 AM EST
Of the reported features that the next-gen PlayStation 4 has been touted for, one of the newest and awaited by gamers is the play while download capability, which allows gamers to immediately play a game without having to wait for 100% of the download to finish.
PlayStation 3 owners, however, don't have to wait until the next-gen console hits stores during the holidays, as the reported feature will be coming to the current-gen console in as early as June.
The Verge reports that the first game where you can experience this feature will be The Last of Us, which will be available for download starting June 14.
According to the report, to effectively use the play while you download feature, you only need to wait until you've downloaded 50% of the game. After that, the other half can be downloaded while you actually get down to business playing.
Of course, this requires a longer period of waiting for download compared to the PlayStation 4 play while download feature announced during its February event, wherein you only need a fraction--not half of the game--to start playing as the game finishes downloading in the background.
PlayStation 4 to get voice recognition
Potentially another feature set for the PlayStation 4 may have been revealed through a job listing.
Sony joins the companies putting out job listings, possibly in the continuing development of the next-gen PS4. CNet reports that Sony has recently posted a job ad for a Speech Recognition Engineering Intern, with capabilities in the field of voice detection, noise reduction, and grammar processing under various environments.
This can mean that a voice-based command may be included in the PS4, with the added bonus of having the ability to detect your voice so that you can continue playing regardless of the condition that you are playing in.
CNet adds that this feature may be included in the PlayStation Eye, with the rumored four-channel microphone so you can personalize your gaming experience, similar to the way the Xbox 720 Kinect will allow you to control the console with your speech.
Again, this may be Sony's way of covering its bases, to keep its next-gen PS4 evenly matched with its biggest competition. That isn't to say that it won't bring about a more convenient way of playing, which is supposed to be the next-gen consoles' main functionality for gamers.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Nokia Lumia 635: Microsoft Drops AT&T Smartphone's Price For 2014 Black Friday Sale
- Google’s Mobile Search To Lessen Stress Of Black Friday Shopping
- ‘Destiny’ Dev Holds Own Black Friday 2014 Sale As More The Dark Below Details Get Revealed
- Apple’s Black Friday Sale Versus Other Retailers
- ‘GTA V' Title Update 1.04, Black Friday Sale And Heists DLC Release In December Possible
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Walmart Canada Black Friday 2014 Ad For Nov. 28, 2014 Up To Dec. 1, 2014 Includes Savings On The iPad Mini 16GB And The Beats Solo HD Drenched Headphones