Winning Lottery: One Ticket Wins the Biggest Lottery Pay-out in History
By Athena Yenko | May 20, 2013 11:39 AM EST
Out of the millions who bought the lottery, only one lucky buyer gets to win the $590.5 million jackpot, CNN reports. Powerball jackpot winning numbers were 22, 10, 13, 14, 52 and the Powerball number is 11. This is the highest among the Powerball lottery ticket winners in history.
The winner has yet to claim his or her jackpot as of the moment.
According to Kelly Cripe, spokeswoman for the Texas Lottery, "if there had been no winner in Saturday's Powerball, the jackpot would have shot up to $925 million for Wednesday's drawing."
Florida follows a strict regulation as to the claiming of the jackpot. The winner has only up until the 180th day after the drawing to claim his or her prize at a state lottery or from a lottery district office. Whichever Powerball retailer across the state can authenticate the winning ticket.
Powerball is being played across 43 states in the U.S., the District of Columbia and the U.S. Virgin Islands at $2 per ticket.
Deputy Secretary of the Florida Lottery David Bishop confirms that the winning ticket was sold at the Publix supermarket in Zephyrillis, Florida. The said jackpot already exceeds the $587.6 million jackpot won in November and was divided between two winners from Arizona and Missouri.
As much as the recent ticket has won in Florida, buyers do not stop from buying their tickets from Trex Mart in Dearborn, Missouri, where one of the $587.6 million ticket was won.
According to accounts, the largest lottery jackpot across the U.S. was $656 million in Mega millions game in March 2012. The winning prize was divided among three winning tickets from Illinois, Kansas and Maryland as compared to the Powerball's jackpot with only one winner.
According to statistics, a chance of winning the lottery ticket is 1 in 175.2 million but this odd does not stop Americans from betting on their numbers.
Analysts say that people are drawn to lottery because they only pay a small price but they have the chance of winning millions worth of prizes. The buyers' behaviour shows that they see betting at the lottery as a small investment with the biggest possible revenue.
CNN asks other regular lottery buyers how they feel about winning the lottery.
Butch Gonzalez sounds a bit dismayed for not buying his or her ticket at the Publix in Zephyrhills for this particular draw. He shares that "I buy mine here all the time. Yesterday, I was in Naples. I bought it in Naples. That's just my luck. I just hope whoever won really needs the money and I hope they do right by it."
CNN said that that people stand a better chance of walking onto the golf course and hitting two consecutive holes in one than winning the jackpot.
But despite this odd of winning the lottery, there are approximately 100 people buying lottery tickets in an hour.
People are more than willing to take their chances on the lottery more than any game played across the U.S.
Jim Mansell, a regular lottery player in Missouri, shares that he only buys one ticket each time. "I figure if the good Lord intends you to win, you only need one ticket. But I don't know if the good Lord believes in gambling or not..."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS