iPad 5, iPad Mini 2 vs. Microsoft Surface Pro 2, Surface Mini: Should You Give a Damn on Microsoft’s Tablets?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | May 20, 2013 10:22 AM EST
Successors of the Microsoft Surface Pro and a new 7 or 8 inch tablet are on its way, according to reports. Rumours also suggest that these tablets will hit the market pretty soon.
The decision may be due to the unexpected popularity of Microsoft Surface Pro across the world, especially among business executives and officials in many companies.
Announcement of Microsoft Surface 2 is expected to take place at the upcoming Build Developer Conference that will take place from June 26 to 28, where more details about the projected Windows Blue update are also expected. Supply chains have leaked clues about the potential second upgrade of Surface.
According to tech blog DigiTimes, the Surface tablets will release both 7-inch and 9-inch variants, respectively targeting Google Nexus 7 and Apple iPad. For a long time, it has been said that the Redmond software giant is to uncover a midsize Windows 8 tablet.
"Sources also noted that the second-generation Surface devices reportedly will only feature 7- to 9-inch displays to meet the rising demand for smaller tablet devices," stated the report from DigiTimes, which referring to sources said that Microsoft retained most of its earlier OEMs to build the next gen Surface tablet.
According to rumours, Microsoft will be powered by Intel processors with reports citing that the tablet to include Intel Core i5. Surface Pro 2 and Surface Mini will run with the updated version of Windows OS. The devices will also sport internal storage up to 128 GB.
Meanwhile, iPad Mini 2 is speculated to feature a screen with a resolution of 2048 x 1536. This is almost four times the resolution of the present iPad Mini and is equal to the fourth generation iPad which was released along with the iPad Mini last year. AU Optronics has been rumoured to be making displays for the iPad Mini 2.
Other specs include a more powerful dual core A7 processor and a 7.9 inch screen. It will also feature a 10-hour battery life, a FaceTime HD camera, and an iSight camera with 1080 pixels HD video recording. Apple is also trying to reduce the thickness of the iPad Mini 2 by using the Sharp's IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology in its screens.
The iPad 5, on the other hand, is rumoured to have no bezels, and the whole form factor has been made sleeker. Horowitz believes this design indicates that Apple will be calling on Sharp's IGZO screen technology. Sharp, however, according to Horowitz, has been struggling, and its ability to deliver components on time will play a key role in the release of the next iPad.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced