Spain's King Juan Carlos Gives Up Royal Yacht
By Timur Moon | May 19, 2013 12:26 AM EST
The King of Spain is to give up his £18 million yacht in what he has termed a "gesture of solidarity" with his recession-hit people.
King Juan Carlos will transfer responsibility for the 40-metre yacht Fortuna to the Spanish government, to re-allocate or sell as it chooses.
"The King has decided that at a time of crisis, when institutions are required to set an example, there is no sense in keeping a yacht like this, which costs a large amount of money to maintain," said a royal spokesman.
Failing health has meant the King's use of the yacht has dwindled in recent years, compared to earlier days when his love of fast cars earned him something of a playboy reputation.
His latest concession to austerity comes as unemployment in Spain stands at 27%.
Last year, the King accepted a 7% pay cut, along with his son, Crown prince Felipe, while his wife Queen Sofia now flies with budget airlines.
The Fortuna, which costs £21,000 to refuel, was bought in 2000 by a consortium of businessmen from Majorca, who gave it to the State for the King's use.
He was known to have owned several vessels, aboard which he held parties to entertain, among others, Prince Charles, Diana, Princess of Wales, Bill Clinton and King Abdullah of Jordan.
His supporters hope the decision will help boost his popularity, which suffered a dent recently when he was forced to apologise for going on an expensive elephant-hunting safari in Botswana that was seen as out of kilter with the public mood.
The King's son-in-law, Inaki Urdangarin, has been indicted as a suspect in the embezzlement of almost £7 million in public funds. He denies any wrongdoing.
The investigation has given rise to suspicion that the King may also have been involved, which Juan Carlos denies.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments