Spain's King Juan Carlos Gives Up Royal Yacht
By Timur Moon | May 19, 2013 12:26 AM EST
The King of Spain is to give up his £18 million yacht in what he has termed a "gesture of solidarity" with his recession-hit people.
King Juan Carlos will transfer responsibility for the 40-metre yacht Fortuna to the Spanish government, to re-allocate or sell as it chooses.
"The King has decided that at a time of crisis, when institutions are required to set an example, there is no sense in keeping a yacht like this, which costs a large amount of money to maintain," said a royal spokesman.
Failing health has meant the King's use of the yacht has dwindled in recent years, compared to earlier days when his love of fast cars earned him something of a playboy reputation.
His latest concession to austerity comes as unemployment in Spain stands at 27%.
Last year, the King accepted a 7% pay cut, along with his son, Crown prince Felipe, while his wife Queen Sofia now flies with budget airlines.
The Fortuna, which costs £21,000 to refuel, was bought in 2000 by a consortium of businessmen from Majorca, who gave it to the State for the King's use.
He was known to have owned several vessels, aboard which he held parties to entertain, among others, Prince Charles, Diana, Princess of Wales, Bill Clinton and King Abdullah of Jordan.
His supporters hope the decision will help boost his popularity, which suffered a dent recently when he was forced to apologise for going on an expensive elephant-hunting safari in Botswana that was seen as out of kilter with the public mood.
The King's son-in-law, Inaki Urdangarin, has been indicted as a suspect in the embezzlement of almost £7 million in public funds. He denies any wrongdoing.
The investigation has given rise to suspicion that the King may also have been involved, which Juan Carlos denies.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports