Is Canada the New Home for Alien Life? UFO Sightings Double in 2012
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 16, 2013 5:14 PM EST
Canadians claim to have sighted nearly 2,000 Unidentified Flying Objects (UFOs) in 2012 alone, according to the annual report from Ufology Research - an inacrease of over 100% on the previous year.
The survey documented 1,981 sightings last year, compared to 986 in 2011. It states 40% of the sightings were reported from Ontario and every province, except Saskatchewan and Prince Edward Island, reported seeing some form of mysterious light or object in the sky.
"It's something across the board," Chris Rutkowski, a civilian science writer and the author of the UFO survey since 1989, said, "People in Canada were actually looking up into the sky more than in previous years."
Among the many UFOs sighted, people have seen objects in various shapes and forms, including triangles, as balls of fire and disc-shaped flying saucers; the latter, predictably, was the most common form of UFO sighted.
Adam Canning, of Lake Charlotte in Nova Scotia, is one of several claiming to have seen UFOs. The 10-year-old boy, who reported a sighting with his friend, described the event as: "I could see it in the distance for about a minute and then like boom, it went really fast. I heard this, beep, beep, beep. I knew something was in the sky. I looked up and there was a big thing. Big, round, like a big hotel or something."
A majority of the sightings last year were reported to civilian organisations. Earlier this year, the Canadian government confirmed it would no longer be using federal resources to monitor or investigate UFO sightings. And Rutkowski believes this is an important reason for the inflated count for last year.
"It is very easy to report online, anonymously, without any worry about judgment or retribution, so I think it is very likely people will be reporting things more often to civilian organizations," he explained.
"Only about 7.5% of the cases last year ended up being unexplained. Oddly enough, only about 15% were completely explained, so it's really a matter of intense investigation. There's a lot of work that needs to be done before we can put reports like this into bed," he added.
UFO sightings continue to draw significant attention and debate, with a photograph, released last week by NASA, one of several in the spotlight. In NASA's image, a disc-shaped object can be seen hovering above the Earth's surface, emitting rainbow-like lights.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS