Arizona Restaurant Amy's Baking Company Attacked Online After Gordon Ramsay’s ‘Kichen Nightmares’ Appearance
By Anne Lu | May 16, 2013 4:24 PM EST
One restaurant featured on the U.S. TV reality show "Kitchen Nightmares" is finally getting the attention that, as many people claim, it deserves. Arizona restaurant Amy's Baking Company is feeling the backlash of the online community after owners Amy and Samy Bouzaglo appeared on the show and attack online commenters.
Last week, the show, which stars English celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay, featured the couple as Ramsay tried to help their flailing restaurant business. However, for the first time ever, the Michelin-rated chef walked away from the challenge of helping the couple because the Bouzaglos couldn't take criticisms well.
People who have watched the show know exactly what Ramsay was talking about. To say that the couple were strong headed was putting it mildly.
Samy, who apparently invested more than a million dollars to build the restaurant for his wife, threatened anyone who criticises Amy's cooking. Amy also does that, but she takes it one step further and retaliates with their food. She even fired a young waitress named Katy for having an "attitude" after Katy asked her a question.
"It was at a very early age that I discovered that I have a real, true passion and talent for anything having to do with the culinary arts," Amy said in the programme.
Customers at her restaurant beg to differ about her having a talent for cooking, however. The reviews for their restaurant on Yelp and Reddit weren't kind. They not only bash the food, but also the service. People claim they had to wait for a long time to get their order, and when they finally got it, they found out that it wasn't worth the wait.
Amy said in the show that they invited Ramsay to counter "fake" reviews online about their restaurant. They thought that if a world-class chef such as Ramsay would say that she cooks excellent food, then people would believe him rather than the online reviews.
Only it didn't turn out that way. What Ramsay had experienced in the restaurant was as bad as the other diners had. He not only found fault in the food, but also how the husband and wife duo managed their business.
Ramsay was also aghast at Samy's dubious practice of taking the tips the waitresses earned from diners for himself, and how he was rude to the customers.
But the couple, Amy in particular, wouldn't want to listen to criticisms, and even at some point alleged that Ramsay didn't know what he was talking about. She told him that she didn't want to go through the show anymore, so Ramsay was forced to concede and leave.
Unsurprisingly, the couple, who already have negative reviews online, received even more bad reviews after the episode aired last week. And again unsurprisingly, they retaliated by calling their critics "stupid" and "sh**" among many other names. They also threatened to call the FBI on them.
"You people are all sh**. Yelp sh**, Reddits sh**. Come to here, I will fu***** show you all," one post from them reads.
But on Tuesday, the couple deleted all the hateful posts, telling their followers that they have been hacked.
"Obviously our Facebook, YELP, Twitter and Website have been hacked. We are working with the local authorities as well as the FBI computer crimes unit to ensure this does not happen again. We did not post those horrible things. Thank you Amy & Samy," they wrote.
Judging by the replies they received, most people are not buying it, though.
The Bouzaglos are planning for a grand re-opening of their restaurant on May 21 to disprove their bad reputation. A portion of the proceeds will benefit an unnamed charity organised to bring awareness to cyber bullying, their post on their Facebook page reads.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Celebrities Whose Life Changed Because of Sexual Abuse and Molestation
Join the Conversation
- Bachelorette 2014, Bachelor 2015 Spoilers: Andi Dorfman Hints at Next Bachelor; Find Out What He Thinks About the Job
- Castle Season 7 Spoilers: Stana Katic says ‘Back in the Saddle’, Beckett, Castle Romance to Grow Stronger
- Star Wars Episode VII: Jedi Master's Search, Luke's Lightsaber From the Sky
- Orange is the New Black Update: Reality T.V. Star to Appear in Season 3, Actor Says Show can Run for Long Time, even with New Protagonist
- Avengers 2: Ultron's First Attack On The Avengers, More Details on the Avengers Tower Party
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People