Grey's Anatomy Season 9 Finale: Alex Karev's Loaded 'Shut Up' Line and Calzona's 'Heartbreaking' Confrontation [PHOTOS]
By Arlene Paredes | May 15, 2013 2:57 PM EST
Grey's Anatomy Season 9 finale, "Perfect Storm," airs on Thursday night in the U.S. via ABC. Last week's episode promises a romantic development for Alex Karev and a very troubled phase for the fan favorite Calzona couple. To add to the drama, Jackson Avery has to come to terms with April Kepner's engagement to paramedics guy Matthew. And Meredith gives birth in a very difficult situation.
Spoiler Alert: This feature contains spoilers for those who have not seen Grey's Anatomy Season 9, Episode 23: "Readiness is All." Read at your own risk.
Alex Karev and Jo Wilson are finally having a conversation that could lead to a kiss. But then a huge tree falls outside and pokes through Karev's window, splitting the two in a ruined romantic moment.
Wilson thanks Karev for caring. She has no idea the guy has just been seriously reprimanded for blackmailing. (There could be more on that later.) Karev, always emotionally stunted, tells her to "shut up." Avid Grey's Anatomy viewers knew it's time for the couple's first kiss. Well, that was the hope.
Grey's Anatomy Season 9 Finale: Shonda Rhimes Explains Cheating in the Calzona Story
Craniofacial specialist Lauren Boswell (Hilarie Burton from One Tree Hill/White Collar) is the new Mark Sloan, apparently. And that's not just because she's great in plastics. Blame her for bringing the latest challenge in the just-recently-getting-better-relationship of Callie and Arizona.
"We've created this relationship that's very interesting and complex, and I feel like we're at a moment where this [temptation] feels earned. We're doing something that feels very in keeping with what's right for these characters," Grey's Anatomy series creator Shonda Rhimes told TV Line.
Rhimes explained the relevance of Hilarie Burton's character in the married life of Callie Torres and Arizona Robbins. The series creator brought up PTSD in relation to Arizona's character, hinting all the flirtation and the seemingly uncharacteristic cheating is part of a big picture.
Calzona fans should brace themselves. It seems a "heartbreaking" confrontation is coming. "That was the most stunning moment of the table read -- the entire cast gasped and fell silent," Rhimes told the Hollywood Reporter.
"I've done lot of reading on PTSD and grief and these people have been through a hell of a lot this season and we've watched them struggle to right themselves fairly quickly -- perhaps too quickly. There's stuff there that has not been dealt with. We're taking them through it, which I think is great, and Lauren is definitely possibly a part of that," Rhimes said.
Grey's Anatomy Season 9 finale will be filled with personal dramas among the characters as usual. The Calzona cheating is likely to deliver the biggest moment. But Jackson and Meredith have some big issues, too. Viewers should expect yet another mean serving of cruel cliffhangers.
Read More 'Grey's Anatomy Season 9 Finale' Articles:
Grey's Anatomy Season 9 Finale Part 1 Review: 'Out of Nowhere,' A Proposal, a Calzona Shocker, and the Wrath of Alex Karev! [READ]
Grey's Anatomy Season 9 Finale: Alex Karev, Jo Wilson Definitely Happening? What is Jackson Avery Doing? [READ]
Grey's Anatomy Season 9 Finale Spoilers, Clues: Fight for Life, Superstorm, Personal Drama, 'Monsters' [READ]
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Will Name Second Child Diana, Camilla Parker-Bowles Not Invited to Prince George’s Birthday - Reports
- Kanye West Abandons Kim Kardashian after 58 Days of Marriage – Reports
- Ian Somerhalder and Nina Dobrev Drama: Heartbroken The Vampire Diaries Actress Reacts to Nikki Reed Dating News—Report
- The Bachelorette Season 10 (2014) Finale, ATFR Spoilers: Things to Know About ‘Surprising, Explosive Ending’ of Andi Dorfman’s Season
- Selena Gomez's Mystery Man Identified as Businessman Tommy Chiabra, Singer Flirts and Shares Same Towel with Him -- Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports