Angelina Jolie: Women Can Be Beautiful Even without Breasts
By Athena Yenko | May 15, 2013 2:33 PM EST
Angelina Jolie's decision to make public her ordeal of undergoing mastectomy created different reactions from all over the world. The majority of reaction praises her for the courage to undergo the complicated medical procedure; hails her as hero for raising awareness among women about mastectomy as an option against breast cancer.
By now, there had been articles putting emphasis on mastectomy as a very expensive procedure and that not all women, like Angelina, can afford to have the procedure. Some points out that she, rather, created a misleading notion that any women who have breast cancer can undergo mastectomy while the procedure only applies to specific cases.
Little is written about how Angelina is able to illuminate the nature and capacity of all women to still nurture her loved ones, to take care of others, even strangers, amidst undergoing a painful ordeal and to have courage not solely for herself but for those people around her.
Angelina has once again made the statement that women are selfless.
In a personally written essay by Angelina Jolie, entitled "My Medical Choice", published in the opinion pages of The New York Times, she wrote "Life comes with many challenges. The ones that should not scare us are the ones we can take on and take control of."
Angelina went telling about how her doctors estimated an 87 percent risk of breast cancer and a 50 per cent risk of ovarian cancer. Her high risk of breast cancer resulted from inherited gene mutation from her mother. Woman with a defect in BRCA1 has 65 percent risk of getting it - she was included to that 65 percent.
Upon knowing that breast cancer is her reality, she made the brave decision to do preventive double mastectomy.
In the superficial world of celebrities, fashion, spotlight and what-not that Angelina is in; in as much as she was hailed as the sexiest and hottest woman in the world; she now dares create a new definition of what it is to be beautiful, sexy and hot.
Angelina, still, is beautiful even without her breasts. Hence, all women could be.
"I do not feel any less of a woman. I feel empowered that I made a strong choice that in no way diminishes my femininity."
Taking Care of Others
Angelina shared through her essay that the medical process began on February 2 with a procedure known as "nipple delay". This is a very painful procedure aimed at saving the nipples. Two weeks after, she underwent the 8-hour major surgery where all breast tissue is removed and temporary fillers are put in place.
She recalls waking up with drain tubes and expanders in her breast. She said that it feels like a scene out of a science fiction film but days after she is back to her usual activities.
Nine weeks later, the surgery is complete with reconstructive breasts implants.
As calculated, the process happened from February until April. But in March of same year, in the middle of her treatment, she still attended to her humanitarian responsibilities and travel all the way to the Republic of Congo. She was also present at the Women in the World Summit in New York in April and travel to London with British foreign secretary William Hague for the G8 Summit.
Partner Brad Pitt said that all these activities were during "Stage 2. Literally it was just weeks after she'd had truly major surgery."
Nurturing loved ones
Angelina starts her essay sharing that her mother died of cancer. She then shares that her children often ask her if the same could happen to them. She told them not to worry.
After the surgery, she tells her children that "Everything else is just Mommy, the same as she always was." She told them that she loves them and will do anything she can to be with them as long as she can.
As for her loving partner Brad Pitt, she said that he is a fortune for being so loving and supporting, "Brad was at the Pink Lotus Breast Cancer, where I was treated, for every minute of the surgeries. We managed to find moments to laugh together. We knew this was the right thing to do for our family and that it would bring us closer. And it has."
To all Women
In her essay, Angelina put emphasis on why she decided to write about her experience. It was not a mere self expression but in writing about her experience, she hopes that other women can benefit from her experience.
"Cancer is still a word that strikes fear into people's hearts, producing a deep sense of powerlessness..."
"I wanted to write this to tell other women that the decision to have a mastectomy was not easy. But is one I am very happy that I made."
"For any woman reading this, I hope it helps you to know you have options..."
"I choose not to keep my story private because there are many women who do not know that they might be living under the shadow of cancer. It is my hope that they too, will be able to get gene tested, and that if they have a high risk, they too, will know that they have strong options."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- Brad Pitt Forced To Talk About Ex-Wife Jennifer Aniston: Asked to Compare Wife Angelina Jolie With Rachel From 'Friends'
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports