Apple Pressured to Announce iPad 5, iPad Mini 2 Release Date Soon?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | May 13, 2013 2:21 PM EST
Is the tech giant Apple pressured to release its upcoming tablets soon?
Reports claimed that Apple may experience a big drop on the sales of iPad Mini. According to a report from Bloomberg, two of the key products from Apple, iPhone 5 and the iPad Mini, are expected to have a 25-30% drop in the second quarter.
This is because of the decline in consumers buying the current models of iPad and is waiting for the successors of the devices.
While it is easy to point a finger at Apple and say that this is a bad sign, it is clear to Apple consumers that many new products are right around the corner including the iPhone 5S, the iPad 5 and the iPad Mini 2. So of course sales will start to decline on the current products because people are waiting to buy the newest version when it comes out.
According to reports, iPad Mini 2 will feature a screen with a resolution of 2048 x 1536. This is almost four times the resolution of the present iPad Mini and is equal to the fourth generation iPad which was released along with the iPad Mini last year. AU Optronics has been rumoured to be making displays for the iPad Mini 2.
Other specs include a more powerful dual core A7 processor and a 7.9 inch screen. It will also feature a 10-hour battery life, a FaceTime HD camera, and an iSight camera with 1080 pixels HD video recording. Apple is also trying to reduce the thickness of the iPad Mini 2 by using the Sharp's IGZO (indium gallium zinc oxide) technology in its screens.
The iPad 5, on the other hand, is rumoured to have no bezels, and the whole form factor has been made sleeker. Horowitz believes this design indicates that Apple will be calling on Sharp's IGZO screen technology. Sharp, however, according to Horowitz, has been struggling, and its ability to deliver components on time will play a key role in the release of the next iPad.
Apple's CEO Tim Cook recently confirmed that no new Apple products will be released before fall 2013. However, the sudden disappearance of previous iPads tells consumers otherwise.
According to reports, iPad 5 is set for release in October; while the iPad Mini 2 will be released in Christmas. Apple may have decided to make a solo launch for both tablets due to the popularity of iPad Mini. The device was well-received by consumers in many parts of the world.
However, the Cupertino-based company remained tight-lipped on the rumours and on its plans for this year.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists