Iran Earthquake with 6.2 Magnitude Hits: 1 Dead, Aftershocks Continue
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 13, 2013 12:45 PM EST
Aftershocks continued to rattle the communities and residents of Iran's Bashagard City following the 6.2 magnitude earthquake that struck off Saturday, killing one child and injuring at least 20 others.
About 10 aftershocks have been detected since the quake struck at 6:38 a.m. local time, including one as big as a 5.6 tremor on early Sunday. The earthquake's epicenter was recorded 85 kilometres (52 miles) southeast of the town of Minab, located in the southern Hormuzgan Province off the Strait of Hormuz, an important trade point for the international oil market.
According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the tremors have a depth of 36.44 kilometers or 22.64 miles.
Water and power supply networks, including telephone connections, have been cut. At least six villages had been damaged. One of those injured was reported "not in a good condition and has been hospitalized."
Earlier, a small earthquake hit the province of Bushehr, where a Russian-built nuclear plant is located. It still continues to operate normally.
Much of Iran is prone to earthquakes, given its proximity to geological fault-lines.
A double earthquake, measuring 6.2 and 6.0, struck northwestern Iran in August 2012, killing more than 300 people and injuring 3,000.
In 2003, an earthquake hit and flattened the southern city of Bam, leaving 40,000 people dead. It likewise destroyed the city's ancient mud-built citadel.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Date is Halloween 2014 as Android L Intro Set for October 16
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Android 5.0 L Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7 Release in October, Google Employees Offer Hint
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- Microsoft Doubles OneDrive Space To 30GB Due To iOS 8 Update Issues
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert