Solar Eclipse 2013: Australia Photos on Twitter with Sydney Observatory and Other Users
By Arlene Paredes | May 10, 2013 11:17 AM EST
Australians have been in for a treat Friday morning with a solar eclipse spectacle. Western Australia is the first to get a glimpse of the astronomical phenomenon, from 6:32 in the morning. The Sydney Observatory (sydneyobs) on Twitter is updating its followers on the developing sky scenery.
On Instagram, Dr Karl Kruszelnicki of BBC Radio 5 Live posted the photo below with the following caption: "Eclipse, Sydney, at maximum, Hydrogen Alpha 650 nanometers."
Aus Geographic (ausgeo) has been at the Sydney Observatory to view the eclipse. It joins Dr Karl and other Twitter users in using the social network as a repository of public documentation of current and cosmic events. The account posted this next photo, with this caption: "Partial #eclipse from @sydneyobs at maximum through #telescope and eyepiece projector."
The Sydney Observatory posted this photo moments after the solar eclipse reached its maximum. The caption reads, "Max eclipse."
"Built in 1858, now a public observatory presenting Australian astronomy past and present," reads the Twitter profile of Sydney Observatory.
Meanwhile, Young Astronomers UK (UKYoungAstro) engaged its followers with an outside-of-Earth photo of the eclipse. "Fascinating! This is what the shadow from a solar eclipse looks like from space," the caption reads.
Twenty-five minutes before the solar eclipse maximum, Aus Geographic tags Dr Karl Kruszelnicki in this next photo.
"Watching the partial #eclipse with @DoctorKarl at @sydneyobs. This is how it looks with about 25 mins to maximum."
"In a partial eclipse of the sun, the moon partly covers the sun's disc as it goes around the Earth. It usually misses the sun because of the tilt in its orbit, but now and again it covers part, or very rarely, the sun's entire disc," explains Martin George, astronomer and director of the Launceston Planetarium at the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery.
Related 'Solar Eclipse in Australia' News:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Gay Community In Liberia Persecuted For Ebola; Church Leaders Call Virus 'Punishment' For Homosexuality
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Shifts Blame On US For Ukraine Crisis, Putin Accuses West of 'Remaking World'