Solar Eclipse 2013: Australia Photos on Twitter with Sydney Observatory and Other Users
By Arlene Paredes | May 10, 2013 11:17 AM EST
Australians have been in for a treat Friday morning with a solar eclipse spectacle. Western Australia is the first to get a glimpse of the astronomical phenomenon, from 6:32 in the morning. The Sydney Observatory (sydneyobs) on Twitter is updating its followers on the developing sky scenery.
On Instagram, Dr Karl Kruszelnicki of BBC Radio 5 Live posted the photo below with the following caption: "Eclipse, Sydney, at maximum, Hydrogen Alpha 650 nanometers."
Aus Geographic (ausgeo) has been at the Sydney Observatory to view the eclipse. It joins Dr Karl and other Twitter users in using the social network as a repository of public documentation of current and cosmic events. The account posted this next photo, with this caption: "Partial #eclipse from @sydneyobs at maximum through #telescope and eyepiece projector."
The Sydney Observatory posted this photo moments after the solar eclipse reached its maximum. The caption reads, "Max eclipse."
"Built in 1858, now a public observatory presenting Australian astronomy past and present," reads the Twitter profile of Sydney Observatory.
Meanwhile, Young Astronomers UK (UKYoungAstro) engaged its followers with an outside-of-Earth photo of the eclipse. "Fascinating! This is what the shadow from a solar eclipse looks like from space," the caption reads.
Twenty-five minutes before the solar eclipse maximum, Aus Geographic tags Dr Karl Kruszelnicki in this next photo.
"Watching the partial #eclipse with @DoctorKarl at @sydneyobs. This is how it looks with about 25 mins to maximum."
"In a partial eclipse of the sun, the moon partly covers the sun's disc as it goes around the Earth. It usually misses the sun because of the tilt in its orbit, but now and again it covers part, or very rarely, the sun's entire disc," explains Martin George, astronomer and director of the Launceston Planetarium at the Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery.
Related 'Solar Eclipse in Australia' News:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family