Tesla Model S Scores Near-Perfect 99 Score In Consumer Reports, After Earlier Poor Review In The New York Times
May 10, 2013 6:18 AM EST
Tesla CEO Elon Musk is having a good day.
Tesla Motors Inc. (Nasdaq:TSLA) surged about 32 percent to about $74 by Thursday afternoon, fueled by its first profits posted in yesterday's earnings report and a glowing review from Consumer Reports.
The magazine gave Tesla Motors Inc.'s (Nasdaq:TSLA) luxury electric sedan its highest score, a 99 out of 100. Only the Lexus LS has garnered the same score.
“There, we said it,” the review read. “The Tesla Model S outscores every other car in our test Ratings. It does so even though it’s an electric car. In fact, it does so because it is electric.”
The only thing that held Musk’s flagship automobile back from the coveted “Recommended Buy” – and completely acing the review – was a lack of serious road-time.
“Despite its stratospheric road-test score, we can’t recommend the Model S until we have sufficient reliability data,” Consumer Reports said.
And according to Jalopnik, the car would have received above a perfect score were it not for the “limitations still inherent in owning an electric car.”
The Palo Alto-based automaker began selling the car -- which begins at $69,900 and can cost as much $89,650 – last summer and sales have increased steadily.
The Times’ own public editor, Margaret Sullivan, later found the reporter, John M. Broder, erred as he drove the car up the East Coast, eventually stalling out. Musk’s own analytics later revealed that Broder had not charged the car according to its guidelines.
For its part, Consumer Reports said the car’s 85-kWh lithium-ion battery consistently lasted about 200 miles, as is advertised, running from a cold-weather low of 180 miles to a warm-weather high of 225.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Half a Million Years of Life Lost to Opioid Abuse in U.S.
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Charlize Theron and Sean Penn Plans to Marry in S. Africa and Adopt a Child Soon - Reports
- Boxing News 2014: Upper-Level Tickets to Mayweather-Maidana Sept 13 Rematch Selling at $562 in Secondary Market; Lower Prices Expected as Fight Date Approaches
- Manchester United Flop Anderson was Once 'Like Neymar,' Says Brazil Legend
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales