Tesla Model S Scores Near-Perfect 99 Score In Consumer Reports, After Earlier Poor Review In The New York Times
May 10, 2013 6:18 AM EST
Tesla CEO Elon Musk is having a good day.
Tesla Motors Inc. (Nasdaq:TSLA) surged about 32 percent to about $74 by Thursday afternoon, fueled by its first profits posted in yesterday's earnings report and a glowing review from Consumer Reports.
The magazine gave Tesla Motors Inc.'s (Nasdaq:TSLA) luxury electric sedan its highest score, a 99 out of 100. Only the Lexus LS has garnered the same score.
“There, we said it,” the review read. “The Tesla Model S outscores every other car in our test Ratings. It does so even though it’s an electric car. In fact, it does so because it is electric.”
The only thing that held Musk’s flagship automobile back from the coveted “Recommended Buy” – and completely acing the review – was a lack of serious road-time.
“Despite its stratospheric road-test score, we can’t recommend the Model S until we have sufficient reliability data,” Consumer Reports said.
And according to Jalopnik, the car would have received above a perfect score were it not for the “limitations still inherent in owning an electric car.”
The Palo Alto-based automaker began selling the car -- which begins at $69,900 and can cost as much $89,650 – last summer and sales have increased steadily.
The Times’ own public editor, Margaret Sullivan, later found the reporter, John M. Broder, erred as he drove the car up the East Coast, eventually stalling out. Musk’s own analytics later revealed that Broder had not charged the car according to its guidelines.
For its part, Consumer Reports said the car’s 85-kWh lithium-ion battery consistently lasted about 200 miles, as is advertised, running from a cold-weather low of 180 miles to a warm-weather high of 225.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'World Of Warcraft’ Brings Back The ‘Gaze Of The Black Prince’ Buff From Sept. 2-16, 2014 After ‘Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition': Romancing Solas, Morrigan's Human Side And Dragon Age Keep User Interface
- Julie Bishop: ISIS Is 'Australia's Responsibility'
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 2, 2014
- Volatile Volcanoes Are Waking Up
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Google Can Kill Samsung with Android KitKat and Android One: Here's How