Tesla Model S Scores Near-Perfect 99 Score In Consumer Reports, After Earlier Poor Review In The New York Times
May 10, 2013 6:18 AM EST
Tesla CEO Elon Musk is having a good day.
Tesla Motors Inc. (Nasdaq:TSLA) surged about 32 percent to about $74 by Thursday afternoon, fueled by its first profits posted in yesterday's earnings report and a glowing review from Consumer Reports.
The magazine gave Tesla Motors Inc.'s (Nasdaq:TSLA) luxury electric sedan its highest score, a 99 out of 100. Only the Lexus LS has garnered the same score.
“There, we said it,” the review read. “The Tesla Model S outscores every other car in our test Ratings. It does so even though it’s an electric car. In fact, it does so because it is electric.”
The only thing that held Musk’s flagship automobile back from the coveted “Recommended Buy” – and completely acing the review – was a lack of serious road-time.
“Despite its stratospheric road-test score, we can’t recommend the Model S until we have sufficient reliability data,” Consumer Reports said.
And according to Jalopnik, the car would have received above a perfect score were it not for the “limitations still inherent in owning an electric car.”
The Palo Alto-based automaker began selling the car -- which begins at $69,900 and can cost as much $89,650 – last summer and sales have increased steadily.
The Times’ own public editor, Margaret Sullivan, later found the reporter, John M. Broder, erred as he drove the car up the East Coast, eventually stalling out. Musk’s own analytics later revealed that Broder had not charged the car according to its guidelines.
For its part, Consumer Reports said the car’s 85-kWh lithium-ion battery consistently lasted about 200 miles, as is advertised, running from a cold-weather low of 180 miles to a warm-weather high of 225.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- After Estee Lauder, Kendal Jenner Now Bags Karl Lagerfeld Campaign In Less Than A Week
- Channing Tatum Had No Clue Why Benett Miller Wanted To Make Dark Film Like 'Foxcatcher'
- Margot Robbie Says She Wore 'Tightest Dress And Highest Heels' For 'The Wolf Of Wall Street,' Poses Underwater For W Magazine
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon November 21, 2014
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit