Neil Heslin: Newtown Father Gets Attacked By Gun Rights Group; Connecticut Carry Releases Rap Sheet
May 10, 2013 4:07 AM EST
A Connecticut gun rights group has it out for a Newtown father.
Connecticut Carry published the rap sheet of Neil Heslin, whose son died in the shootings at Sandy Hook Elementary School on Dec. 14. Heslin, who testified before Congress and the state Legislature for tougher gun laws, has been arrested for issuing bad checks and driving under the influence.
“So often we find that the strongest critics of the right to bear arms are those people who cannot be trusted with firearms themselves,” Connecticut Carry said in a press release.
The group claims that Heslin’s criminal history, which prevents him from purchasing guns, makes him the “poster boy” of how “ineffective background checks are.”
Most of Heslin’s arrests took place in 1997, 2001 and 2002. Three of them involve writing bad checks – the larges for $2,424, according to the News Times. He has pled not guilty to all charges.
His most recent arrest on August 8, 2012 was for issuing a bad check. The News Times describes Heslin’s troubled past as a “picture of a man struggling with his business finances and stiffing his creditors.”
On Wednesday, Heslin was offered a plea deal from a state Superior Court judge to resolve charges against him. Heslin would have to serve 30 days in jail in exchange for a guilty plea. He has a July 9 deadline to decide whether to accept or not.
In January, When parents of children killed at Sandy Hook Elementary testified at hearing in Hartford, Conn., Heslin said he was "not in favor of banning guns and weapons," but wants stricter gun laws that ban, assault weapons and high-capacity magazine clips, USA Today reports.
Heslin said he "was raised with firearms, hunting and skeet shooting," and to use them responsibly – "not to kill my mother while she was sleeping."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports