'Too Chunky' Cheerleader Responds: Kelsey Williams Blasts 'Claire Crawford', Blogger Who Called Oklahoma City Thunder Dancer 'Chunky'
May 9, 2013 11:23 PM EST
Oklahoma City Thunder cheerleader Kelsey Williams has responded to a blogger who questioned if she was “too chunky.”
In a Wednesday interview on ABC’s “Good Morning America,” Williams chastised the CBS Houston blogger, who wrote under the name “Claire Crawford,” for the insensitive remarks.
"Shame on you. I mean you are a woman … you know exactly what we all go through on a daily basis just being a woman," Kelsey Williams told ABC News’ Bianna Golodryga. "Shame on you."
Williams also told ABC News that her “heart sank” when she read the April 22 blog, written after a first-round playoff game between the Thunder and the Houston Rockets.
"The Rockets looked terrible in Game 1, but some say they weren't the only bad-looking people on the court," Crawford wrote for Houston’s SportsRadio 610, adding that Oklahoma City fans had been critical of Williams for “having ‘pudginess’ around her waistline.”
Although Crawford eventually referred to Williams as a “pretty blonde,” adding that “we think she’s beautiful,” the damage had already been done. The lengthy blog also contained a poll in which readers were asked if Williams was “too chunky” to be a cheerleader.
Williams rejected the blog’s criticisms, claiming that she diets and exercises three to four hours a day to meet to maintain her physique.
"I have always had more of an athletic build, different than the slender ballerina that some people may think of as a dancer, and that's just not me," she told ABC News, noting that she wears a size four.
The young cheerleader also broke down in tears while discussing the incident’s effects on her family.
"They are just equally upset," she said. "They think I am beautiful and they love me, so I think they were hurt too."
Still, Williams refused to let the blogger’s comments change her positive outlook.
"I have so much love in me," she said. "Sending hate her way would do nothing … what's done is done. I'm just going to keep my chin up."
According to the Houston Chronicle, the name “Claire Crawford” is actually a pseudonym for Anna-Megan Raley, a former Chronicle blogger and would-be cheerleader.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales