Solar Eclipse to Turn Sun into 'Ring of Fire' on Friday: When and Where to Watch Live in India
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 9, 2013 3:53 PM EST
Stargazers will be in for a visual treat when the annular solar eclipse transforms the sun into a 'ring of fire' on 9-10 May.
According to NASA, the eclipse will be visible across Australia, eastern Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, and the Gilbert Islands on Thursday and Friday in Eastern Time (ET). Australia will be the first to view the event at 5:30 pm ET (6:32 am local time). [Click here to see the entire list of cities and their respective timings for the annual solar event.]
The Slooh Space Camera will broadcast the event live along with an expert commentary from Australia at 5:30 pm EDT (21:30 GMT).
"As a special treat, Slooh will broadcast an additional feed of the Sun from the Prescott Solar Observatory, a fantastic facility located in Arizona - giving viewers a unique look of the Sun from the other side of the world," Latinos Post reported.
The eclipse will see the moon covering 95 percent of the sun but will not considerably darken the skies. A solar eclipse occurs when the moon comes in between sun and earth and casts a shadow on earth.
Those gearing up to watch the event should use protective gear like special protective lenses, telescope filters and camera to avoid damage to the eyes.
"Solar eclipses can be inspirational to students and others, so it is interesting to have everyone view the eclipse, but only safe methods of viewing should be used," said Jay Pasachoff, an astronomer at Williams College and chair of the International Astronomical Union's working group on eclipses told Space.com.
The celestial event will be a partial one with the moon not completely masking the sun.
The last Partial Lunar Eclipse took place on 25 April. This year will witness a total of five eclipses - three lunar and two solar eclipses.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Enhanced Footage Of NASA's Tether Incident Proves Aliens Exist, Say UFO Believers And Experts [Watch Video]
- Fung-Wong More Like Ketsana Than Haiyan; Kills 1, Displaces 470,000 Filipinos & Paralyses Metro Manila
- Philippines’s Mayon Volcano Shoots Lava & Hot Boulders
- Asteroid That Killed Dinosaurs Are Responsible For A Greener Earth
- It’s Haiyan All Over Again As Philippines Grapples With Heavy Rain, Floods
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Google Now v. Siri v. Cortana – Comparison Of The Three Leading Virtual Assistants
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown