Solar Eclipse to Turn Sun into 'Ring of Fire' on Friday: When and Where to Watch Live in India
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 9, 2013 3:53 PM EST
Stargazers will be in for a visual treat when the annular solar eclipse transforms the sun into a 'ring of fire' on 9-10 May.
According to NASA, the eclipse will be visible across Australia, eastern Papua New Guinea, the Solomon Islands, and the Gilbert Islands on Thursday and Friday in Eastern Time (ET). Australia will be the first to view the event at 5:30 pm ET (6:32 am local time). [Click here to see the entire list of cities and their respective timings for the annual solar event.]
The Slooh Space Camera will broadcast the event live along with an expert commentary from Australia at 5:30 pm EDT (21:30 GMT).
"As a special treat, Slooh will broadcast an additional feed of the Sun from the Prescott Solar Observatory, a fantastic facility located in Arizona - giving viewers a unique look of the Sun from the other side of the world," Latinos Post reported.
The eclipse will see the moon covering 95 percent of the sun but will not considerably darken the skies. A solar eclipse occurs when the moon comes in between sun and earth and casts a shadow on earth.
Those gearing up to watch the event should use protective gear like special protective lenses, telescope filters and camera to avoid damage to the eyes.
"Solar eclipses can be inspirational to students and others, so it is interesting to have everyone view the eclipse, but only safe methods of viewing should be used," said Jay Pasachoff, an astronomer at Williams College and chair of the International Astronomical Union's working group on eclipses told Space.com.
The celestial event will be a partial one with the moon not completely masking the sun.
The last Partial Lunar Eclipse took place on 25 April. This year will witness a total of five eclipses - three lunar and two solar eclipses.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Walking Is Superfood For Fitness; Celebrities Who Walk For Health
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of No Where and Disappears, MUFON Report
- Australia's Rising Temperatures Have 'Definite' Links To Global Warming
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- Obama’s Bid To Blame Intelligence Chief For Inaction On ISIS Backfires: McCain Asks Obama To Admit Own Mistakes