Sony Xperia Ion: How to Update with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean [Full Guide]
By Ryan Inoyori | May 9, 2013 2:03 PM EST
Sony tweeted the Jelly Bean update for several Xperia phones including Xperia Ion which currently under final stages of development. The company sent the tweet last month and owners should expect the release soon. Anxious users who cannot wait for the update, may use an Android 4.1.2 firmware designed for Xperia Ion called Paranoid Android.
Sony Xperia Ion LT28 can now be updated to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean firmware using Paranoid Android custom ROM. It is based on Android Open Source Project or AOSP which includes all Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean features and add-ons from the custom ROM itself.
Warning: This is a custom ROM and developers are not liable for any damage which may occur on your device. Read and follow the instructions carefully to avoid destroying your phone. Do this at your own risk.
For you to install Paranoid Android ROM on your Xperia Ion, make sure you have everything needed to perform the procedure.
- Unlock the Bootloader of your Xperia Ion to install the custom ROM.
- Create a backup of all your personal information, settings and data files on your device.
- Install the appropriate ADB drivers.
- Make sure that the phone has at least 50 per cent battery level to avoid power interruption during installation.
- Enable USB debugging mode on your device.
- Download the Paranoid Android ROM and the Patch zip files on your computer.
- Download the Google Apps package on your computer.
1. Unzip or decompress the ADB/fastboot file folder to the desktop on your computer.
2. Extract "boot.img" from the downloaded ROM zip and save it in the fastboot file folder on your desktop.
3. Copy the ROM, Google apps and patch zip files on the internal storage of your device.
4. Switch off the phone and wait for at least 5 seconds.
5. Press and hold the Volume Up key while connecting the phone to the computer using a USB cable
6. Open the fastboot folder.
7. Hold the shift key and right click on the folder then select the "Open Command Window Here."
8. Type the command line on the command window: fastboot devices
9. The window should display "fastboot devices xxx xxxx" which indicates that the device is properly connected. If not, reinstall the ADB drivers again and disconnect the phone. After reinstallation, reconnect the handset.
10. Next, type the following command line to install the kernel: fastboot flash boot boot.img
11. Once it displays "finished", disconnect the phone and switch it on.
12. When you see the boot logo, press the Volume Up key continuously then release it. This should put the device into Recovery mode.
13. Inside the Recovery mode, create a backup of the current ROM. Select "backup and restore > backup."
14. Then wipe the data inside the device. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition". After that, go back and select "advanced > wipe dalvik cache." Depending on which type of custom recovery you use, the menu may not be the same.
15. After the wiping has been completed, select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card" and install the custom ROM you have copied earlier.
16. Confirm installation and do the thing with the Google Apps package and the patch files.
17. Go back after the installation and select "reboot system now."
Well done! Your Sony Xperia Ion now runs Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean using Paranoid Android custom ROM.
If you love the Paranoid Android custom ROM, you can simply update it without the need of wiping the data. But you have to reinstall the Google apps package again after the update.
For comments, questions and any issues, send your feedback to the Paranoid Android XDA Original Thread page.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports
- Xiaomi to Kill Redmi 1S for More Redmi Notes
- New Zealand Dairy Industry Feels Bullish At Chinese President's Visit