Western Australia Braces for Severe Weather in Next 24 Hours
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 9, 2013 10:16 AM EST
Communities and residents in Western Australia have been advised to brace themselves and take cover for a severe weather disturbance over the next 24 hours.
The Weather Bureau said wind gusts of about 100 kilometres per hour are likely to develop in some areas on Thursday morning, coming from a deep low that is also expected to move over region over the next 24 hours.
Dangerous winds of more than 125 kilometres per hour are expected to the coast from Busselton to Katanning to Bremer Bay, the weather bureau warned.
The WA State Emergency Service (SES) urged communities and residents to prepare for the storm lashes, secure their homes as well as their personal safety. It said it had received and responded to more than 40 calls for help, in just an overnight, since Perth and the south-west got hit by a cold front.
"Damage has been reported across the Perth metropolitan area and the south-west," the SES said in a statement.
It noted majority of the calls came from northern suburbs in the Sitrling and Wanneroo areas.
In just an overnight, the intense low pressure system have cut down electricity supply to some 6000 homes, as the strong winds forced trees to topple down on powerlines.
Those without electricity were mainly located in the South West towns of Pemberton and Manjimup. Stoneville, Parkerville and Gidgegannup were likewise affected.
The state's Department of Fire and Emergency Services advised people to take precautions in storing loose objects, as well as prepare emergency kits, secure boats, move vehicles undercover and ensure pets are moved to a safe area.
Heavy rain and strong winds are expected to continue on Thursday evening mowing towards Friday morning that could make driving conditions dangerous.
"If you live south west of an area from Perth to York to Israelite Bay you should take action and stay safe with more bad weather to come," the SES said.
Special mention were given to people in, near and between Perth metropolitan area, Mandurah, York, Bunbury, Busselton, Margaret River, Bridgetown, Narrogin, Katanning, Albany and Esperance and the surrounding areas.
"This type of weather only occurs once or twice a year and could cause major damage to homes and make travel dangerous."
- If your home has been badly damaged by a storm call the SES on 132 500
- In a life threatening situation call 000
- For information about road conditions contact Main Roads WA on 138 138
• For the latest weather information visit www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 213.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- China Military PLA Drills Affect Flights, Hundreds Cancelled
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: EU Feared Won't Ever Enforce Sanctions on Russia; All Talk, No Force
- U.S. Flights to Israel Now Lifted, Flights To and From Tel Aviv Resume – FAA
- Reserve Bank of New Zealand Raises Interest Rates Due to 'Unsustainable' Kiwi
- Embattled Malaysia Airlines Could Run Out of Cash 2015; Diverts Plane Over Another War Zone After MH17 Crash
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon