Western Australia Braces for Severe Weather in Next 24 Hours
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 9, 2013 10:16 AM EST
Communities and residents in Western Australia have been advised to brace themselves and take cover for a severe weather disturbance over the next 24 hours.
The Weather Bureau said wind gusts of about 100 kilometres per hour are likely to develop in some areas on Thursday morning, coming from a deep low that is also expected to move over region over the next 24 hours.
Dangerous winds of more than 125 kilometres per hour are expected to the coast from Busselton to Katanning to Bremer Bay, the weather bureau warned.
The WA State Emergency Service (SES) urged communities and residents to prepare for the storm lashes, secure their homes as well as their personal safety. It said it had received and responded to more than 40 calls for help, in just an overnight, since Perth and the south-west got hit by a cold front.
"Damage has been reported across the Perth metropolitan area and the south-west," the SES said in a statement.
It noted majority of the calls came from northern suburbs in the Sitrling and Wanneroo areas.
In just an overnight, the intense low pressure system have cut down electricity supply to some 6000 homes, as the strong winds forced trees to topple down on powerlines.
Those without electricity were mainly located in the South West towns of Pemberton and Manjimup. Stoneville, Parkerville and Gidgegannup were likewise affected.
The state's Department of Fire and Emergency Services advised people to take precautions in storing loose objects, as well as prepare emergency kits, secure boats, move vehicles undercover and ensure pets are moved to a safe area.
Heavy rain and strong winds are expected to continue on Thursday evening mowing towards Friday morning that could make driving conditions dangerous.
"If you live south west of an area from Perth to York to Israelite Bay you should take action and stay safe with more bad weather to come," the SES said.
Special mention were given to people in, near and between Perth metropolitan area, Mandurah, York, Bunbury, Busselton, Margaret River, Bridgetown, Narrogin, Katanning, Albany and Esperance and the surrounding areas.
"This type of weather only occurs once or twice a year and could cause major damage to homes and make travel dangerous."
- If your home has been badly damaged by a storm call the SES on 132 500
- In a life threatening situation call 000
- For information about road conditions contact Main Roads WA on 138 138
• For the latest weather information visit www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 213.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- West Africa Ebola Epidemic To Last 12-18 Months More
- BC Teachers’ Strike Reaches Tentative Deal With Government, Date of Class Resumptions Still Not Sure
- Security for Pope Francis' Albania Trip At Status Quo, Won’t Be Reinforced Despite ISIS Threat – Vatican
- Ebola Update: Death Toll Reaches 2,461; US$1B Is Needed To Fight It, Says UN
- Air France Pilots’ Strike: Only 40% of Scheduled Wednesday Flights Will Operate
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- iPhone 6 Plus vs Xiaomi Mi4 – The iPhone Killer Certainly Can Battle Well With The New Apple Phablet
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MF 370: Indonesian Police Chief Claims He Knows What Happened To Missing Jet
- HTC Desire 820 (Octa-Core) vs. Sony Xperia Z3 Compact – Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown