Ford Motor Company (F) Sells 114% More Focus Sedans In China So Far In 2013 Compared To Last Year
May 9, 2013 3:41 AM EST
Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) said Wednesday its year-to-date wholesale sales rate in China is up 49 percent compared with the same four-month period last year largely on the back of robust demand for the locally produced Focus sedan. Meanwhile demand for the company’s Focus sedan more than doubled in that same period of time.
On a wholesale basis, the company reported China sold 75,331 vehicles last month and 261,927 vehicles so far this year. Demand fueled the wholesale purchases of 126,853 Ford Focuses for the first third of the year, which is a whopping 114 percent higher than the same period last year. North America’s second-largest auto maker has been playing catch-up in the world’s fastest growing and largest auto market, where it trails considerably other major players.
Ford currently enjoys about a 3.6 percent market share in China compared with leading rivals Volkswagen AG (FRA:VOW3) with 19.5 percent and General Motors Company (NYSE:GM) with 10 percent, according to data from LMC Automotive. GM sold over 800,000 units in the first three months of the year, showing just how far Ford has to go to meet its rivals.
China could top 20 million unit sales this year, according to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers, compared with the 15 million to 15.5 million sales in the world’s second-largest auto market, the United States.
Ford manufactures its branded vehicles in Chongqing, China, through Changan Ford Automobile, a joint partnership with Chang'an Automobile (Group) Co. Ltd., one of China’s so-called “Big Four” auto manufacturers. The new Ford Focus, built on the company’s global C-platform, is the first of an ongoing effort to release 15 Ford models into the Chinese market, including the new Mondeo and the Fiesta ST.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'CSI Crime Scene Investigation' Season 15 Recap: Episode 4 'The Book of Shadows' Aired On Oct. 19, 2014, The 'CSI Las Vegas' Team Investigates A Dangerous Science Experiment [WATCH VIDEOS]
- Queens Park Rangers News: Adel Taarabt Hits Back At Harry Redknapp Over Overweight Claim
- Manchester United: Ed Woodward Caught On Cam Saying 'F****** Waste Of Money' Following Red Devils Draw
- New Android 5.0 Lollipop Improvements Coming with Google Fixing Multiple Accounts and Material Design
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu