Ford Motor Company (F) Sells 114% More Focus Sedans In China So Far In 2013 Compared To Last Year
May 9, 2013 3:41 AM EST
Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) said Wednesday its year-to-date wholesale sales rate in China is up 49 percent compared with the same four-month period last year largely on the back of robust demand for the locally produced Focus sedan. Meanwhile demand for the company’s Focus sedan more than doubled in that same period of time.
On a wholesale basis, the company reported China sold 75,331 vehicles last month and 261,927 vehicles so far this year. Demand fueled the wholesale purchases of 126,853 Ford Focuses for the first third of the year, which is a whopping 114 percent higher than the same period last year. North America’s second-largest auto maker has been playing catch-up in the world’s fastest growing and largest auto market, where it trails considerably other major players.
Ford currently enjoys about a 3.6 percent market share in China compared with leading rivals Volkswagen AG (FRA:VOW3) with 19.5 percent and General Motors Company (NYSE:GM) with 10 percent, according to data from LMC Automotive. GM sold over 800,000 units in the first three months of the year, showing just how far Ford has to go to meet its rivals.
China could top 20 million unit sales this year, according to the China Association of Automobile Manufacturers, compared with the 15 million to 15.5 million sales in the world’s second-largest auto market, the United States.
Ford manufactures its branded vehicles in Chongqing, China, through Changan Ford Automobile, a joint partnership with Chang'an Automobile (Group) Co. Ltd., one of China’s so-called “Big Four” auto manufacturers. The new Ford Focus, built on the company’s global C-platform, is the first of an ongoing effort to release 15 Ford models into the Chinese market, including the new Mondeo and the Fiesta ST.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate