New Zealand Sea Monster: Mysterious Carcass Washes Ashore On Pukehina Beach In New Zealand [VIDEO]
May 8, 2013 11:53 PM EST
A mysterious carcass washed up on a New Zealand beach last week, causing local citizens to speculate that it may have been a “sea monster.”
The creature, measuring about 30 feet long and displaying razor-like teeth, was found half-buried in sand on a Pukehina, New Zealand beach, Sun Live reports. Soon after, a beachgoer posted a video of the decomposing remains to YouTube, asking for the public’s help in classifying the “sea monster.”
The video’s commentators have spent the last week speculating about the creature, suggesting that it could be anything from a sea monster to a saltwater crocodile. However, marine mammal expert Anton van Helden told New Zealand’s Channel 3 that the carcass is most likely that of a killer whale.
Van Helden cited the carcass’ distinctive flippers as evidence that it was an orca, but couldn’t determine how the mammal had ended up on a beach in Pukehina.
"It's hard to say how it died," he told Channel 3.
The orca, also known as the killer whale, can be found anywhere from the polar regions to the Equator, according to National Geographic. The deadly hunters travel in family groups of up to 40 members, known as “pods.”
This isn’t the first time that an otherwise innocuous carcass was mistaken for that of a “monster.” In 2008, residents of Montauk, New York discovered of the disconcerting remains of a small creature on a local beach. The carcass, dubbed the “Montauk Monster,” caused a media frenzy, as various outlets endeavored to identify its actual origins.
Much like New Zealand’s sea monster scare, the Montauk Monster ended up falling far short of fantasy. Several members of the scientific community determined that the corpse was merely a raccoon in an advanced stage of decomposition.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Woman Claiming To Be Former NASA Employee Says She Saw Humans Walking On Mars In 1979
- More Artefacts Found in Greece's Mystery Tomb
- 'Meatspace': Lamb Chop Sent Into Space Returns To Earth [Watch Video]
- Dinosaur Discovery 2014: New Dinosaur Species Found Inside A Canadian Museum
- Underwater Robotics Measures Thickness Of Antarctic Sea Ice
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments