New Zealand Sea Monster: Mysterious Carcass Washes Ashore On Pukehina Beach In New Zealand [VIDEO]
May 8, 2013 11:53 PM EST
A mysterious carcass washed up on a New Zealand beach last week, causing local citizens to speculate that it may have been a “sea monster.”
The creature, measuring about 30 feet long and displaying razor-like teeth, was found half-buried in sand on a Pukehina, New Zealand beach, Sun Live reports. Soon after, a beachgoer posted a video of the decomposing remains to YouTube, asking for the public’s help in classifying the “sea monster.”
The video’s commentators have spent the last week speculating about the creature, suggesting that it could be anything from a sea monster to a saltwater crocodile. However, marine mammal expert Anton van Helden told New Zealand’s Channel 3 that the carcass is most likely that of a killer whale.
Van Helden cited the carcass’ distinctive flippers as evidence that it was an orca, but couldn’t determine how the mammal had ended up on a beach in Pukehina.
"It's hard to say how it died," he told Channel 3.
The orca, also known as the killer whale, can be found anywhere from the polar regions to the Equator, according to National Geographic. The deadly hunters travel in family groups of up to 40 members, known as “pods.”
This isn’t the first time that an otherwise innocuous carcass was mistaken for that of a “monster.” In 2008, residents of Montauk, New York discovered of the disconcerting remains of a small creature on a local beach. The carcass, dubbed the “Montauk Monster,” caused a media frenzy, as various outlets endeavored to identify its actual origins.
Much like New Zealand’s sea monster scare, the Montauk Monster ended up falling far short of fantasy. Several members of the scientific community determined that the corpse was merely a raccoon in an advanced stage of decomposition.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Testicular Cancer Survivor Pushes 6-Foot Giant Ball Across The US To Create Awareness About Ailment
- New Project Will Send 1 of Every 50,000 Applicants to Space
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date