New Zealand Sea Monster: Mysterious Carcass Washes Ashore On Pukehina Beach In New Zealand [VIDEO]
May 8, 2013 11:53 PM EST
A mysterious carcass washed up on a New Zealand beach last week, causing local citizens to speculate that it may have been a “sea monster.”
The creature, measuring about 30 feet long and displaying razor-like teeth, was found half-buried in sand on a Pukehina, New Zealand beach, Sun Live reports. Soon after, a beachgoer posted a video of the decomposing remains to YouTube, asking for the public’s help in classifying the “sea monster.”
The video’s commentators have spent the last week speculating about the creature, suggesting that it could be anything from a sea monster to a saltwater crocodile. However, marine mammal expert Anton van Helden told New Zealand’s Channel 3 that the carcass is most likely that of a killer whale.
Van Helden cited the carcass’ distinctive flippers as evidence that it was an orca, but couldn’t determine how the mammal had ended up on a beach in Pukehina.
"It's hard to say how it died," he told Channel 3.
The orca, also known as the killer whale, can be found anywhere from the polar regions to the Equator, according to National Geographic. The deadly hunters travel in family groups of up to 40 members, known as “pods.”
This isn’t the first time that an otherwise innocuous carcass was mistaken for that of a “monster.” In 2008, residents of Montauk, New York discovered of the disconcerting remains of a small creature on a local beach. The carcass, dubbed the “Montauk Monster,” caused a media frenzy, as various outlets endeavored to identify its actual origins.
Much like New Zealand’s sea monster scare, the Montauk Monster ended up falling far short of fantasy. Several members of the scientific community determined that the corpse was merely a raccoon in an advanced stage of decomposition.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Latest UFO Sighting Arizona: Couple See A Strange House That Appears Out Of Nowhere And Disappears, MUFON Report
- Astronomical Events October 2014: Blood-Red Total Lunar Eclipse, Solar Eclipse, Two Meteor Showers And Other Occurrences To Watch Out For
- Couple Who Paid Young Girls To Stomp Puppy To Death Gets Life Sentence
- NASA's Curiosity Rover Discovers Water On Martian Soil: Mars Not A Dry Planet
- Malaysian Flight MH370 Latest Update: New Search Images Reveal Unknown Seabed Details In The Indian Ocean [Watch Video]
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money