Saul Bass: Google Doodle Marks Graphic Designer's 93rd Birthday with Video Tribute
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 8, 2013 3:47 PM EST
Search engine giant Google on Wednesday celebrated American Graphic Designer Saul Bass's 93rd birthday with one of its most unique and innovative doodle featuring a video of his trademark designs in film credits and film posters.
The new doodle shows a sequence of Bass' best works in films with the tunes of jazz composer Dave Brubeck's "Unsquare Dance" playing in the background.
In a career that spanned three decades, Bass worked with some of the best filmmakers like Alfred Hitchcock, Otto Perminger, BillyWider Stanley Kubrick and Martin Scorsese.
Born on 8 May, 1920 in New York, Bass' artistic talent was evident since childhood. He attended the Arts Student League and worked as a freelance designer for several years. His breakthrough came in 1954 when he was assigned to design a film poster for Otto Preminger's "Carmen Jones". Bass' sophisticated composition in the black and white poster featuring Dorothy Dandridge in an eye-popping red skirt impressed the director so much that the designer went on to make the title sequence.
His dramatic designs added a whole new dimension to the industry and soon several filmmakers roped him in the design stages of production. Some of his best works were seen in "The Man with Golden Arms", "North by Northwest", "Psycho" "Vertigo" and "Spartacus". In the 1990s, he also created title sequences for "Goodfellas", "Cape Fear" and his last work "Casino".
Besides his contribution to the film industry, Bass has also designed iconic company logos for AT&T, United Airlines and US Postage and other corporate firms.
The legendary designer died at the age of 75 in 1996.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- ‘The X Factor Australia’ Winner is Marlisa Punzalan; Dean Ray Finishes as Runner-Up [VIDEOS]
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Housemate Lawson Chooses Cat Over GF, Kisses Cat in Bed [VIDEO]
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7, Episode 7 Spoilers: Gemma’s World Starts To Crumble in ‘Greensleeves’ [VIDEO]
- 'American Horror Story' : Renewed For Season 5, Ryan Murphy Says 'We're Not Doing Space'
- 'Fifty Shades of Grey' Plot Update: Sexy Scenes Revealed, Jamie Dornan Kisses Dakota Johnson In Reshoot
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage