Saul Bass: Google Doodle Marks Graphic Designer's 93rd Birthday with Video Tribute
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 8, 2013 3:47 PM EST
Search engine giant Google on Wednesday celebrated American Graphic Designer Saul Bass's 93rd birthday with one of its most unique and innovative doodle featuring a video of his trademark designs in film credits and film posters.
The new doodle shows a sequence of Bass' best works in films with the tunes of jazz composer Dave Brubeck's "Unsquare Dance" playing in the background.
In a career that spanned three decades, Bass worked with some of the best filmmakers like Alfred Hitchcock, Otto Perminger, BillyWider Stanley Kubrick and Martin Scorsese.
Born on 8 May, 1920 in New York, Bass' artistic talent was evident since childhood. He attended the Arts Student League and worked as a freelance designer for several years. His breakthrough came in 1954 when he was assigned to design a film poster for Otto Preminger's "Carmen Jones". Bass' sophisticated composition in the black and white poster featuring Dorothy Dandridge in an eye-popping red skirt impressed the director so much that the designer went on to make the title sequence.
His dramatic designs added a whole new dimension to the industry and soon several filmmakers roped him in the design stages of production. Some of his best works were seen in "The Man with Golden Arms", "North by Northwest", "Psycho" "Vertigo" and "Spartacus". In the 1990s, he also created title sequences for "Goodfellas", "Cape Fear" and his last work "Casino".
Besides his contribution to the film industry, Bass has also designed iconic company logos for AT&T, United Airlines and US Postage and other corporate firms.
The legendary designer died at the age of 75 in 1996.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Oct. 30, 2014: Eric Names Rick The New CEO Of Forrester Creations After Finding Out About Ridge And Caroline [WATCH VIDEO]
- 'The Originals' Season 2: Joseph Morgan Talks About Nina Dobrev's Crossover, Julie Plec Reveals Which TVD Character She Wants In Spinoff Series
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers From Nov. 3-7, 2014: Hunter Tylo Comes Back To 'B&B' As Dr. Taylor Hamilton Hayes While Changes Are Being Made At Forrester Creations
- This Is Why Japanese Princess Masako Attended First Palace Banquet After 11 Years
- Tom Cruise and Lindsay Lohan Not Likely Dating, Despite Reports
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Apple iPhone 6 Plus vs Motorola Droid Turbo: Comparsion On Processor, Software And Battery
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- ISIS Has Been Equipped With Advanced Anti-Aircraft Missiles
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs Motorola Droid Turbo – S-Pen Is Note’s 4 USP But Droid Turbo Can Outshine With Larger Battery