Saul Bass: Google Doodle Marks Graphic Designer's 93rd Birthday with Video Tribute
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 8, 2013 3:47 PM EST
Search engine giant Google on Wednesday celebrated American Graphic Designer Saul Bass's 93rd birthday with one of its most unique and innovative doodle featuring a video of his trademark designs in film credits and film posters.
The new doodle shows a sequence of Bass' best works in films with the tunes of jazz composer Dave Brubeck's "Unsquare Dance" playing in the background.
In a career that spanned three decades, Bass worked with some of the best filmmakers like Alfred Hitchcock, Otto Perminger, BillyWider Stanley Kubrick and Martin Scorsese.
Born on 8 May, 1920 in New York, Bass' artistic talent was evident since childhood. He attended the Arts Student League and worked as a freelance designer for several years. His breakthrough came in 1954 when he was assigned to design a film poster for Otto Preminger's "Carmen Jones". Bass' sophisticated composition in the black and white poster featuring Dorothy Dandridge in an eye-popping red skirt impressed the director so much that the designer went on to make the title sequence.
His dramatic designs added a whole new dimension to the industry and soon several filmmakers roped him in the design stages of production. Some of his best works were seen in "The Man with Golden Arms", "North by Northwest", "Psycho" "Vertigo" and "Spartacus". In the 1990s, he also created title sequences for "Goodfellas", "Cape Fear" and his last work "Casino".
Besides his contribution to the film industry, Bass has also designed iconic company logos for AT&T, United Airlines and US Postage and other corporate firms.
The legendary designer died at the age of 75 in 1996.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ian Somerhalder Girlfriend: 'Twilight' Actress Nikki Reed Heads Back To Los Angeles Solo, Spotted Partying With Michelle Rodriguez At A Fashion Event
- ‘Big Brother Australia’ Evictee Jason Rose Opens Up About His Family’s Acceptance of His Sexuality, Cat and Lawson’s Illicit Love Affair [VIDEO]
- 'Arrow' Season 3, Episode 3 Spoilers: Merlyn vs Queen; Thea Reborn; Felicity Smoak Gets New Boss [Watch Arrow 3x03 Promo Video]
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ Spoilers For Oct. 23: Find Out What Happens When Phyllis Meets Kelly
- ‘Avengers: Age of Ultron' Teaser Trailer: Fans' Cry At ‘Epic’ Footage, Vision Not Featured
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports