'Wolfenstein: The New Order' Release Date Announced: 'Skyrim' Developer Reveals First Trailer [VIDEO]
May 8, 2013 6:43 AM EST
On Tuesday, Bethesda Softworks, developer of ‘Dishonored’, ‘The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’ and more, announced that 'Wolfenstein: The New Order' is in development at the company's studios in Rockville, Md. The New Order is slated for a Q4 release later this year and will be available for PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 as well as "next-generation consoles".
The original game in the series, ‘Wolfenstein 3D’, was developed by id Software and predates the company’s other classics like 'Doom' and 'Quake.' It essentially kicked off the FPS revolution and tasked the player with killing scores of Nazis during World War II. ‘Wolfenstein: The New Order’ takes a different approach, putting the players in an alternate universe in the 1960s where they’ll have to battle through a world dominated by Nazis who seized ultimate victory during World War II.
The announcement was accompanied by a trailer, which revealed that the player will also be fighting against mechanized foes, which reminded us of this trailer for Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
Part of the trailer was also set to ‘All Along The Watchtower’ by Jimi Hendrix, which only made us of think of movies about the Vietnam War. Color us confused. We’re not sure we like the direction that this installment of ‘Wolfenstein’ is going in so far, and fear that it may suffer from an identity crisis.
Even Warren Spector, the mind behind such highly-regarded titles including ‘System Shock’ and ‘Deus Ex’, chimed in via his Facebook account. He said:
“Did the world really need another Wolfenstein game? Did we need a generically dark, monochromatic, FPS, kill-the-Nazi-giant-robot game? Uh. No. The world did not. I am so tired of stuff like this... Oh, and could we all just agree we'll never use the generic gravelly-whisper trailer voice guy ever again? And one more thing: Please stop using Jimi Hendrix to promote your adolescent male power fantasies. Thank you. I'm done.”
Check out the trailer for 'Wolfenstein: The New Order’ below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Tips For LG Nexus 5: Notifications, Accessibility, Privacy And Saving Battery
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire’ Hits Battle Frontier Plus New Discoveries
- Apple Watch: Works Only With The iPhone And The Confusing Apple WatchKit Software
- Android 5.0 Lollipop Essential Tips For Nexus 6: Camera And Entertainment, Notifications And Privacy, Battery
- 'Dragon Age Inquisition' Starter Tips And Tricks: Character Creation, Combat Modes, Party, Looting, War Table
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices