'Wolfenstein: The New Order' Release Date Announced: 'Skyrim' Developer Reveals First Trailer [VIDEO]
May 8, 2013 6:43 AM EST
On Tuesday, Bethesda Softworks, developer of ‘Dishonored’, ‘The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’ and more, announced that 'Wolfenstein: The New Order' is in development at the company's studios in Rockville, Md. The New Order is slated for a Q4 release later this year and will be available for PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 as well as "next-generation consoles".
The original game in the series, ‘Wolfenstein 3D’, was developed by id Software and predates the company’s other classics like 'Doom' and 'Quake.' It essentially kicked off the FPS revolution and tasked the player with killing scores of Nazis during World War II. ‘Wolfenstein: The New Order’ takes a different approach, putting the players in an alternate universe in the 1960s where they’ll have to battle through a world dominated by Nazis who seized ultimate victory during World War II.
The announcement was accompanied by a trailer, which revealed that the player will also be fighting against mechanized foes, which reminded us of this trailer for Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
Part of the trailer was also set to ‘All Along The Watchtower’ by Jimi Hendrix, which only made us of think of movies about the Vietnam War. Color us confused. We’re not sure we like the direction that this installment of ‘Wolfenstein’ is going in so far, and fear that it may suffer from an identity crisis.
Even Warren Spector, the mind behind such highly-regarded titles including ‘System Shock’ and ‘Deus Ex’, chimed in via his Facebook account. He said:
“Did the world really need another Wolfenstein game? Did we need a generically dark, monochromatic, FPS, kill-the-Nazi-giant-robot game? Uh. No. The world did not. I am so tired of stuff like this... Oh, and could we all just agree we'll never use the generic gravelly-whisper trailer voice guy ever again? And one more thing: Please stop using Jimi Hendrix to promote your adolescent male power fantasies. Thank you. I'm done.”
Check out the trailer for 'Wolfenstein: The New Order’ below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Recap: New York Giants 45, Washington Redskins 14 [PHOTOS]
- Photos Of George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin, They Get Married Again On Monday [Slideshow]
Join the Conversation
- 'The Sims 4' First Expansion Pack To Roll Out Tomorrow With Halloween Theme Via Teaser Images
- The Pirate Bay Contains Malicious Advertisements: Using TPB Can Infect Your Computer With Malware
- Get Invite Codes to Ello the Social Networking Site That Is Viral On the Internet
- Windows Insider Program: How to Get Windows 10 the Next Generation Operating System
- ‘Destiny’ New DLC For PlayStation And Xbox: Future Missions, Strikes And Raids Revealed
- 3 Reasons to Get the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Instead of the iPhone 6
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- MH 370 Search In Ocean To Intensify With Hi Tech Ships Joining The Plane Hunt From October
- Nexus 7 Tips and Tricks
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build