'Wolfenstein: The New Order' Release Date Announced: 'Skyrim' Developer Reveals First Trailer [VIDEO]
May 8, 2013 6:43 AM EST
On Tuesday, Bethesda Softworks, developer of ‘Dishonored’, ‘The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’ and more, announced that 'Wolfenstein: The New Order' is in development at the company's studios in Rockville, Md. The New Order is slated for a Q4 release later this year and will be available for PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 as well as "next-generation consoles".
The original game in the series, ‘Wolfenstein 3D’, was developed by id Software and predates the company’s other classics like 'Doom' and 'Quake.' It essentially kicked off the FPS revolution and tasked the player with killing scores of Nazis during World War II. ‘Wolfenstein: The New Order’ takes a different approach, putting the players in an alternate universe in the 1960s where they’ll have to battle through a world dominated by Nazis who seized ultimate victory during World War II.
The announcement was accompanied by a trailer, which revealed that the player will also be fighting against mechanized foes, which reminded us of this trailer for Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
Part of the trailer was also set to ‘All Along The Watchtower’ by Jimi Hendrix, which only made us of think of movies about the Vietnam War. Color us confused. We’re not sure we like the direction that this installment of ‘Wolfenstein’ is going in so far, and fear that it may suffer from an identity crisis.
Even Warren Spector, the mind behind such highly-regarded titles including ‘System Shock’ and ‘Deus Ex’, chimed in via his Facebook account. He said:
“Did the world really need another Wolfenstein game? Did we need a generically dark, monochromatic, FPS, kill-the-Nazi-giant-robot game? Uh. No. The world did not. I am so tired of stuff like this... Oh, and could we all just agree we'll never use the generic gravelly-whisper trailer voice guy ever again? And one more thing: Please stop using Jimi Hendrix to promote your adolescent male power fantasies. Thank you. I'm done.”
Check out the trailer for 'Wolfenstein: The New Order’ below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Android 4.4.3 and 4.4.4 KitKat Still Delayed for Samsung Galaxy S3, Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy S4 and Galaxy Note 3
- GTA V Online: Money-Glitch Ban Goes After Cheaters as a New Zombie DLC Leak is Spotted
- PS4 News: 2 Possible Sets of PS Plus Games for August 2014 Leaked and Additional Features for PS4
- Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet 17.1.2.A.0.314 Firmware Update to Improve Touch Screen and Charging Speed
- Nokia Lumia 630 vs. Sony Xperia M Specs and Price Comparison in Australia
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date