'Wolfenstein: The New Order' Release Date Announced: 'Skyrim' Developer Reveals First Trailer [VIDEO]
May 8, 2013 6:43 AM EST
On Tuesday, Bethesda Softworks, developer of ‘Dishonored’, ‘The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’ and more, announced that 'Wolfenstein: The New Order' is in development at the company's studios in Rockville, Md. The New Order is slated for a Q4 release later this year and will be available for PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 as well as "next-generation consoles".
The original game in the series, ‘Wolfenstein 3D’, was developed by id Software and predates the company’s other classics like 'Doom' and 'Quake.' It essentially kicked off the FPS revolution and tasked the player with killing scores of Nazis during World War II. ‘Wolfenstein: The New Order’ takes a different approach, putting the players in an alternate universe in the 1960s where they’ll have to battle through a world dominated by Nazis who seized ultimate victory during World War II.
The announcement was accompanied by a trailer, which revealed that the player will also be fighting against mechanized foes, which reminded us of this trailer for Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
Part of the trailer was also set to ‘All Along The Watchtower’ by Jimi Hendrix, which only made us of think of movies about the Vietnam War. Color us confused. We’re not sure we like the direction that this installment of ‘Wolfenstein’ is going in so far, and fear that it may suffer from an identity crisis.
Even Warren Spector, the mind behind such highly-regarded titles including ‘System Shock’ and ‘Deus Ex’, chimed in via his Facebook account. He said:
“Did the world really need another Wolfenstein game? Did we need a generically dark, monochromatic, FPS, kill-the-Nazi-giant-robot game? Uh. No. The world did not. I am so tired of stuff like this... Oh, and could we all just agree we'll never use the generic gravelly-whisper trailer voice guy ever again? And one more thing: Please stop using Jimi Hendrix to promote your adolescent male power fantasies. Thank you. I'm done.”
Check out the trailer for 'Wolfenstein: The New Order’ below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Windows 9 Release Date on October 2014, Not April 2015; Three Reasons to Upgrade from Windows XP and 7
- Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update for Moto X Reported With Poor Battery Life; Six Ways to Resolve the Issue
- Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire New Pokemons Spotted and More Gym Leaders Introduced
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 vs 4.7-Inch iPhone 6
- Destiny Beta Now into Maintenance; Xbox One Version Prepped for 1080p in Final Run
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales