'Wolfenstein: The New Order' Release Date Announced: 'Skyrim' Developer Reveals First Trailer [VIDEO]
May 8, 2013 6:43 AM EST
On Tuesday, Bethesda Softworks, developer of ‘Dishonored’, ‘The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim’ and more, announced that 'Wolfenstein: The New Order' is in development at the company's studios in Rockville, Md. The New Order is slated for a Q4 release later this year and will be available for PC, Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 as well as "next-generation consoles".
The original game in the series, ‘Wolfenstein 3D’, was developed by id Software and predates the company’s other classics like 'Doom' and 'Quake.' It essentially kicked off the FPS revolution and tasked the player with killing scores of Nazis during World War II. ‘Wolfenstein: The New Order’ takes a different approach, putting the players in an alternate universe in the 1960s where they’ll have to battle through a world dominated by Nazis who seized ultimate victory during World War II.
The announcement was accompanied by a trailer, which revealed that the player will also be fighting against mechanized foes, which reminded us of this trailer for Terminator 2: Judgment Day.
Part of the trailer was also set to ‘All Along The Watchtower’ by Jimi Hendrix, which only made us of think of movies about the Vietnam War. Color us confused. We’re not sure we like the direction that this installment of ‘Wolfenstein’ is going in so far, and fear that it may suffer from an identity crisis.
Even Warren Spector, the mind behind such highly-regarded titles including ‘System Shock’ and ‘Deus Ex’, chimed in via his Facebook account. He said:
“Did the world really need another Wolfenstein game? Did we need a generically dark, monochromatic, FPS, kill-the-Nazi-giant-robot game? Uh. No. The world did not. I am so tired of stuff like this... Oh, and could we all just agree we'll never use the generic gravelly-whisper trailer voice guy ever again? And one more thing: Please stop using Jimi Hendrix to promote your adolescent male power fantasies. Thank you. I'm done.”
Check out the trailer for 'Wolfenstein: The New Order’ below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 'Dragon Age: Inquisition' Warrior, Rogue, Mage Gameplay And Combat Strategies
- ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity’ And ‘Rogue’ Updates: More Revealed For Co-Op, Collector’s Edition And Possible PC Debut
- Android 5.0 L November And December Rollout: Android One, Nexus, Google Play, Galaxy S5, Galaxy Note 4
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Release Dates Set To Hit 3 Areas As Early As September
- ‘Minecraft’ PS4, Xbox One And PS Vita Updates From Devs, Microsoft CEO Talks About The Buyout
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best