Nets Coaching Rumors: Phil Jackson, Jerry Sloan, Jeff Van Gundy, Brian Shaw Lead Brooklyn’s List Of Candidates
May 8, 2013 6:09 AM EST
Less than 24 hours after the Brooklyn Nets were eliminated for the 2013 NBA Playoffs, general amanger Billy King announced that P.J. Carlesimo would not be back with the club.
Carlesimo took over as the team’s head coach when Avery Johnson was fired in the regular season. He led the club to the playoffs as the No.4 seed, but lost to a depleted Chicago Bulls team in the first round
The organization is now looking for a new head coach and there are several quality candidates. After winning 49 games in their inaugural season in Brooklyn, the Nets coaching job will be very attractive to both former and up and coming coaches.
Who will land the Nets head coaching job?
The Nets haven’t wasted any time in going after one of the best coaches of all time. ESPN is reporting that Brooklyn has already contracted Jackson about replacing Carlesimo.
Jackson retired in 2011, but has flirted with making a return to the NBA. He talked to the Los Angeles Lakers about replacing Mike Brown, but the organization decided to go with Mike D’Antoni instead. There were also rumors that he had interest in coaching the New York Knicks last year, but Mike Woodson was given a contract after a good stretch as the team’s interim coach.
Before he was contacted by the Nets, there had been reports that Jackson would come back as an executive with a team. If he isn’t interested in coaching 82 games a season, he could join Brooklyn in the front office
Jeff Van Gundy
Van Gundy has spent six seasons without a coaching job, but he seems to be one of the most sought-after candidates each year. In nine full seasons with the Knicks and Houston Rockets, his teams missed the playoffs just once.
The 51-year-old has worked as a broadcaster since being fired from Houston, but hasn’t ruled out a return to the league. He has said that he won’t discuss specific jobs publicly, but ESPN reported in December that Brooklyn has been eyeing Van Gundy.
The former Knicks coach has proved that he can handle the pressure of the Big Apple and might be the ideal candidate to lead the Nets in 2013-2014.
The former NBA player has never had a head coaching job, but he’s considered by many to be a top assistant coach. He coached with Jackson and the Lakers from 2004-2011 and has been with the Indiana Pacers for the past two seasons.
If Brooklyn is looking to hire the next good young coach, Shaw may be the guy. The Chicago Bulls and Golden State Warriors have had great success by hiring first-time coaches in Tom Thibodeau and Mark Jackson, and Brooklyn could do the same with Shaw.
According to Chris Broussard, Shaw is near the top of Brooklyn’s list of candidates.
There’s a chance the Nets could reunite Deron Williams with his old head coach in Utah.
The two had a rocky relationship that ended poorly, but Sloan is, reportedly, on Brooklyn’s list of candidates. Williams has stated that he wouldn’t mind playing for his former coach, and Sloan recently told Comcast SportsNet Northwest that he’d listen to the Nets if they called.
Sloan has never won a title, but he experienced tremendous success with the Jazz. From 1988-2010, he missed the playoffs three times and lost twice in the NBA Finals to Michael Jordan and the Bulls.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Amare Stoudemire Among Worst Contracts In The NBA (Part 2 - Eastern Conference)
- Brawl-Marred Game in NFL Week 3: Philadelphia Eagles 37, Washington Redskins 34 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Amir Khan Says Algieri Doesn’t Have What It Takes To Beat Pacquiao; Khan Reportedly A Top Contender For Mayweather Jr.’s Next Fight Says Mayweather Sr
- WWE Night of Champions Live Streaming Info, Preview and Predictions
- Boxing News 2014: Nevada Commission Summons Mayweather Over Reports Of Marijuana Use In Mansion & No Rest Breaks In Gym
- NFL Week 3: Washington Redskins Vs. Philadelphia Eagles Live Streaming Information And Preview
- Khloe Kardashian Reportedly Having A Hard Time Deciding Whether Or Not To Patch Things Up With Lamar Odom
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- Moto G 2014 v Asus Zenfone 5 – Specification Comparison Shows Zenfone 5 Is A Good Alternative for Moto G
- Nexus 8, Nexus 9 Release Date, Device Name And Price Conundrum: What To Expect?
- New Zealand Could Be Next ISIS Target After Australia Beheading Plot, Says Expert
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border