Massachusetts: British Man Pleads Guilty of Plot 'to Kill and Eat Children'
By Ewan Palmer | May 7, 2013 7:22 PM EST
A British man living in the US has pleaded guilty to plotting to kidnap a child as well as possessing and distributing child pornography.
Authorities also said 40-year-old Geoffrey Portway had a dungeon in his home in Worcester, Massachusetts and spoke of his desire to abduct, kill and eat children.
Portway was arrested in July after police allegedly found child pornography and photos of children who appeared to be dead on his computer.
According to the agreed statement of facts released by Boston officials, Portway also had numerous chats online with people to discuss a "mutual interest in abducting, raping, murdering, and eating children".
Portway has been sentenced to between 18 to 27 years in prison and will be deported back to the UK following his release. He will also be made to sign as a Level 3 sex offender.
When police searched Portway's home following his arrest, they discovered a dungeon in the basement.
According to police, the dungeon contained a child-sized homemade coffin with large speakers covered in wire mesh at one end, as well as a steel cage approximately 3 feet wide, 2 feet high and 4 feet long, and a steel table top.
Police also recovered a number of disposable scalpels, butchering kits and castration tools from the 40-year-old's home.
The dungeon was intended for kidnapped children to be abused and killed, according to the US attorney.
The statement added: "This dungeon was described in detail by Portway in recovered (online) chats as a place he intended to use to keep kidnapped children while he sexually abused them and as a place to eventually murder and cannibalise the children.
"Many of these conversations were accompanied by the trading of child pornography. These chats also included images of children known to them, accompanied by discussions of the desire to sexually abuse, murder and cannibalise those children."
One of the people with whom Portway conspired to kill and eat children was Kansas resident Michael Arnett. Court filings state Portway used Skype and other programs to communicate with Arnett and to trade child pornography, including images of injured, mutilated and deceased children.
Arnett agreed that he would eventually kidnap a child for Portway, who would then rape, kill and eat that child.
Arnett has pleaded guilty in Kansas to the sexual exploitation of a child to produce pornography.
Both men were arrested as part of an ongoing investigation which started in 2010. The operation has since expanded to Europe and other countries.
Bruce Foucart, special agent in charge of Homeland Security Investigations in Boston, said: "Thanks to the determination of HSI, along with our partners at the U.S. attorney's office, we have been able to rescue 160 children and arrest 51 perpetrators worldwide."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Former Destiny’s Child Star Farrah Franklin Arrested
- Asylum Seeker Women in Australia-Run Christmas Island Attempt Suicide in Desperation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown