After the great success of Galaxy S, Samsung decided to create a modified version called Galaxy S Advance running Android 2.3 Gingerbread and upgradable to Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. Samsung hasn't confirmed yet any possibility for Android 4.2 Jelly Bean being developed for Galaxy S Advance, but owners can get the latest Jelly Bean version through CyanogenMod 10.1.
CyanogenMod 10.1 provided Galaxy S Advance with Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean, system tweaking and much customisation option.
1. The device must be rooted to flash this custom ROM
2. Battery level should be at least 70 per cent to avoid power interruption.
3. Create a backup of all your personal information, settings and data files on your device.
4. Install a custom recovery such as ClockworkMod or TWRP recovery on your device.
5. Enable USB debugging on your device.
6. Install the necessary USB drivers to your computer.
7. Download the CyanogenMod 10.1 for Galaxy S Advance and the Google Apps package.
Warning: This is a custom ROM. Flashing a custom ROM can damage your device. Developers are not responsible for anything that could happen on your device. Do this at your own risk.
1. Connect your Galaxy S Advance to the computer using a USB cable.
2. Copy both the custom ROM and the Google apps package you have downloaded earlier to the SD card of your handset.
3. Turn off the device and reboot it into Recovery mode. To do that, press & hold the volume up + power + home keys all at the same time. Release the power key when the Samsung logo appears.
4. Inside the Recovery mode, create a nAndroid backup to save the current ROM of your handset. Go to "backup & restore" and then select "backup." You can use the "restore" option to bring back the saved ROM if desired.
5. Go back to the main menu and perform a full wipe on your device. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition."
6. After the wipe, begin the flashing of the custom ROM. Select "install zip from SD card" and then "choose zip from SD card. Choose the custom ROM you have copied earlier and confirm the installation. Do the same process with the Google apps package.
7. Once the installation is complete, go back to the main menu and select "reboot system now." Be patient on the device as it is making the first run of the custom ROM.
Congratulations! Your Galaxy S Advance is now running Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean with CyanogenMod 10.1.
Currently, there are bugs in the alpha stage of this ROM for Galaxy S Advance such as:
- Camera issues when using "camera stub"
- Module loading for Wi-Fi
- Drivers are not working properly for the vibrator
For comments or suggestions, send your feedback to the XDA Original Thread.
To contact the editor, e-mail: