Orb Betting Odds: Triple Crown A Possibility With Preakness and Belmont Stakes Coming Up
May 7, 2013 3:58 AM EST
It’s been 35 years since the last the horse won the Triple Crown.
On Saturday, Orb took the first step towards making history with his win at Churchill Downs. The favorite at the 139th Kentucky Derby didn’t disappoint, finishing the race in two minutes and 2.89 seconds.
Now, Orb is just two victories away from doing what Affirmed did in 1978. What are the chances that Orb will win the Triple Crown?
Even though every Kentucky Derby winner in the past three and a half decades has been unsuccessful at winning both the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes, it isn’t out of the question that Orb will make history.
The online betting Web site Bovada has set Orb’s odds of winning the Triple Crown at +250. The horse’s odds of losing at least one of the next two races is set at -400.
Since Affirmed won all three legs, 11 horses have entered the Belmont Stakes with a chance to become the 12th Triple Crown winner. Four of those horses finished in second, with Smarty Jones being the most recent in 2004.
Early odds have Orb as the overwhelming favorite to win the 2013 Preakness Stakes, which is scheduled to get underway on May 18. At +150, Orb is expected to win his sixth straight race.
Orb is the perfect candidate to end the 35-year dry spell. He has proven to be one of the three-year-olds around with wins in the Florida Derby and Fountain of Youth Stakes. He also has a great pedigree and a Hall of fame trainer in Shug McGaughey.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft