Orb Betting Odds: Triple Crown A Possibility With Preakness and Belmont Stakes Coming Up
May 7, 2013 3:58 AM EST
It’s been 35 years since the last the horse won the Triple Crown.
On Saturday, Orb took the first step towards making history with his win at Churchill Downs. The favorite at the 139th Kentucky Derby didn’t disappoint, finishing the race in two minutes and 2.89 seconds.
Now, Orb is just two victories away from doing what Affirmed did in 1978. What are the chances that Orb will win the Triple Crown?
Even though every Kentucky Derby winner in the past three and a half decades has been unsuccessful at winning both the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes, it isn’t out of the question that Orb will make history.
The online betting Web site Bovada has set Orb’s odds of winning the Triple Crown at +250. The horse’s odds of losing at least one of the next two races is set at -400.
Since Affirmed won all three legs, 11 horses have entered the Belmont Stakes with a chance to become the 12th Triple Crown winner. Four of those horses finished in second, with Smarty Jones being the most recent in 2004.
Early odds have Orb as the overwhelming favorite to win the 2013 Preakness Stakes, which is scheduled to get underway on May 18. At +150, Orb is expected to win his sixth straight race.
Orb is the perfect candidate to end the 35-year dry spell. He has proven to be one of the three-year-olds around with wins in the Florida Derby and Fountain of Youth Stakes. He also has a great pedigree and a Hall of fame trainer in Shug McGaughey.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best