Orb Betting Odds: Triple Crown A Possibility With Preakness and Belmont Stakes Coming Up
May 7, 2013 3:58 AM EST
It’s been 35 years since the last the horse won the Triple Crown.
On Saturday, Orb took the first step towards making history with his win at Churchill Downs. The favorite at the 139th Kentucky Derby didn’t disappoint, finishing the race in two minutes and 2.89 seconds.
Now, Orb is just two victories away from doing what Affirmed did in 1978. What are the chances that Orb will win the Triple Crown?
Even though every Kentucky Derby winner in the past three and a half decades has been unsuccessful at winning both the Preakness Stakes and the Belmont Stakes, it isn’t out of the question that Orb will make history.
The online betting Web site Bovada has set Orb’s odds of winning the Triple Crown at +250. The horse’s odds of losing at least one of the next two races is set at -400.
Since Affirmed won all three legs, 11 horses have entered the Belmont Stakes with a chance to become the 12th Triple Crown winner. Four of those horses finished in second, with Smarty Jones being the most recent in 2004.
Early odds have Orb as the overwhelming favorite to win the 2013 Preakness Stakes, which is scheduled to get underway on May 18. At +150, Orb is expected to win his sixth straight race.
Orb is the perfect candidate to end the 35-year dry spell. He has proven to be one of the three-year-olds around with wins in the Florida Derby and Fountain of Youth Stakes. He also has a great pedigree and a Hall of fame trainer in Shug McGaughey.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Rafael Nadal To Showcase Vintage Look at US Open - Report
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- 12-inch MacBook Apple Retina and 2014 MacBook Pro to Feature Liquid Sensors, Release in October
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga