Saudi Arabia Releases 166 Former al-Qaida Militants
By Vasudevan Sridharan | May 6, 2013 9:26 PM EST
Saudi Arabia has released 166 former terrorists belonging to al-Qaida and other militant organisations after they were "reformed."
A top Saudi official said the militants had undergone long-term "rehabilitation programmes" aimed at making them re-enter society.
Mansour al-Turki, the interior ministry spokesperson, said the former insurgents have been reformed through the state-sponsored counselling programme (Munasaha).
"A group of 62 members of the deviant group were released in Jeddah after they completed the counselling programme at the Prince Mohammed Bin Naif Centre for Counselling and Care," said the spokesperson, adding that the remaining 104 former militants were set free in Riyadh.
Although the officials did not provide their past affiliations, reports suggest most of them were linked to al-Qaida or its allied outfits.
According to an Arab News report, none of those released were women.
The ex-prisoners will also participate in further rehabilitation programmes in order to cope with reintegration into society.
The former militants, even though released, will be kept under the watch of government agencies for a brief while. Authorities said the government will also help them secure their original jobs and fresh employment.
The rehabilitation programme is aimed at encouraging convicts to turn over to moderate Islam.
In Saudi Arabia, the death penalty is still in vogue for crimes which include blasphemy, idolatry, sorcery, and drug-trafficking.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Prince Harry Reunites With Cressida Bonas On ‘Sex Tape’ Date Amid Dating Camilla Thurlow Reports
- Modern Forensic Science Reveals Evidence Of Brutal Killing Of King Richard III
- Avril Lavigne And Husband Chad Kroeger Call It Quits
- Racist Note Stereotyping Asian Drivers Left on Parked Car in NSW Sparks Online Outrage
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best