2013 Solar Eclipse: Visible in Australia and the Pacific Islands on May 9 and May 10
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 6, 2013 4:40 PM EST
The 2013 Solar Eclipse will occur on May 9 and 10 where viewers in Australia and the Pacific Islands can witness the Moon lying between the Sun and planet Earth. Though this year's eclipse may be partial, it is still guaranteed to be something spectacular and worth the wait.
Viewers in northern Australia can witness the full solar eclipse while those in southern Australia may experience a partial solar eclipse. From Kowanyama, the full eclipse is expected to reach its peak at about 8:42 a.m. while those in Cairns will be able to watch partial eclipse peak at approximately 8:49 a.m.
In Western Australia, the solar eclipse will begin at sunrise on May 10 and it will cross the Northern Territory. Viewers in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands can still experience the solar eclipse before it moves over into the landless portion of the Pacific Ocean.
According to Astronomy Senior Editor Richard Talcott, this phenomenon is an impressive one with Australian residents being very lucky. "Some inhabitants of Queensland who experienced totality in November will also experience annularity this May. Some of the same regions northwest of Cairns lie within both eclipse tracks," Talcott stated.
Here are some tips on how to best view the 2013 Solar Eclipse:
1. Use an eye protection when viewing the solar eclipse. The Sun will shine bright enough and if viewed directly, it can damage the retinas. Approved eclipse glasses, solar filters, #14 welder's glass are recommended to be used.
2. Head to the solar eclipse viewing site an hour early or more for the necessary preparations. This rare phenomenon is another waiting activity.
3. Observe the surroundings and notice the effects of the solar eclipse.
4. Viewers can photograph or document the annular solar eclipse with the proper tools or camera equipment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related