2013 Solar Eclipse: Visible in Australia and the Pacific Islands on May 9 and May 10
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 6, 2013 4:40 PM EST
The 2013 Solar Eclipse will occur on May 9 and 10 where viewers in Australia and the Pacific Islands can witness the Moon lying between the Sun and planet Earth. Though this year's eclipse may be partial, it is still guaranteed to be something spectacular and worth the wait.
Viewers in northern Australia can witness the full solar eclipse while those in southern Australia may experience a partial solar eclipse. From Kowanyama, the full eclipse is expected to reach its peak at about 8:42 a.m. while those in Cairns will be able to watch partial eclipse peak at approximately 8:49 a.m.
In Western Australia, the solar eclipse will begin at sunrise on May 10 and it will cross the Northern Territory. Viewers in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands can still experience the solar eclipse before it moves over into the landless portion of the Pacific Ocean.
According to Astronomy Senior Editor Richard Talcott, this phenomenon is an impressive one with Australian residents being very lucky. "Some inhabitants of Queensland who experienced totality in November will also experience annularity this May. Some of the same regions northwest of Cairns lie within both eclipse tracks," Talcott stated.
Here are some tips on how to best view the 2013 Solar Eclipse:
1. Use an eye protection when viewing the solar eclipse. The Sun will shine bright enough and if viewed directly, it can damage the retinas. Approved eclipse glasses, solar filters, #14 welder's glass are recommended to be used.
2. Head to the solar eclipse viewing site an hour early or more for the necessary preparations. This rare phenomenon is another waiting activity.
3. Observe the surroundings and notice the effects of the solar eclipse.
4. Viewers can photograph or document the annular solar eclipse with the proper tools or camera equipment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Tony Abbott Launches #BringThemHome Operation for MH17 Victims; Black Avatars Trending on Social Media
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales