2013 Solar Eclipse: Visible in Australia and the Pacific Islands on May 9 and May 10
By Jenalyn Villamarin | May 6, 2013 4:40 PM EST
The 2013 Solar Eclipse will occur on May 9 and 10 where viewers in Australia and the Pacific Islands can witness the Moon lying between the Sun and planet Earth. Though this year's eclipse may be partial, it is still guaranteed to be something spectacular and worth the wait.
Viewers in northern Australia can witness the full solar eclipse while those in southern Australia may experience a partial solar eclipse. From Kowanyama, the full eclipse is expected to reach its peak at about 8:42 a.m. while those in Cairns will be able to watch partial eclipse peak at approximately 8:49 a.m.
In Western Australia, the solar eclipse will begin at sunrise on May 10 and it will cross the Northern Territory. Viewers in Papua New Guinea and Solomon Islands can still experience the solar eclipse before it moves over into the landless portion of the Pacific Ocean.
According to Astronomy Senior Editor Richard Talcott, this phenomenon is an impressive one with Australian residents being very lucky. "Some inhabitants of Queensland who experienced totality in November will also experience annularity this May. Some of the same regions northwest of Cairns lie within both eclipse tracks," Talcott stated.
Here are some tips on how to best view the 2013 Solar Eclipse:
1. Use an eye protection when viewing the solar eclipse. The Sun will shine bright enough and if viewed directly, it can damage the retinas. Approved eclipse glasses, solar filters, #14 welder's glass are recommended to be used.
2. Head to the solar eclipse viewing site an hour early or more for the necessary preparations. This rare phenomenon is another waiting activity.
3. Observe the surroundings and notice the effects of the solar eclipse.
4. Viewers can photograph or document the annular solar eclipse with the proper tools or camera equipment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- US Police Release Video Of Officers Shooting 12-Year-Old Tamir Rice
- US Toddler, 3, Shoots Mother To Death With 9mm Handgun
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Has 'Uncanny Ability,' Described As 'Posh' During Public Appearances
- NSW Girl, 12, Takes Wheel of Mazda MX5 & Saves Lives After Father Suffers Heart Attack
- Kim Dotcom Thinks He Will Go To Jail in New Zealand; Admits Before Bail Hearing He is 'Broke'
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast