1170 Students, 157 Teachers To Get Affected as Queensland Closes 9 Schools
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 6, 2013 3:08 PM EST
At least 1,170 students stand to get affected and 157 teachers stand to lose their jobs once Queensland pursues to close nine of its state public schools.
It was revealed last week that the concerned schools were three Brisbane high schools and six primary schools in Brisbane, Toowoomba, the Darling Downs and Townsville. The shutdown could happen by end of the year.
The information on the school closures, which got released under a Right to Information application, as contained in a departmental briefing from August 8, 2012, was explained as necessary to allow the state government save on expenses in maintaining and operating less than performing schools, most especially those located in the urban areas.
"Under Labor 89 Queensland schools were closed, in some cases, to fund other schools," John-Paul Langbroek, education minister, told Queensland Country Life.
"This is exactly what the Newman Government is proposing. Closing unviable schools to improve other Queensland schools and build new ones.
However, from an original number of 55 schools meant for closure, that has been greatly reduced to only nine.
Mr Langbroek said it is still possible that not all nine schools will close.
"Nine is the amount that we're considering," Mr Langbroek on Monday told reporters on Monday. "But it's not a fait accompli and it's something we need to consider after six months of consultation."
Mr Langbroek likewise assured rural schools will remain open and operational.
"I would like to assure Queensland families that I have personally ruled out the closure of any rural schools," Mr Langbroek said.
"Queensland needs 100 news schools in the next 10 years to cater for growth, so we need to manage our school infrastructure more efficiently."
"Before any schools are closed, there will be extensive consultation with the school community."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Australia's Low Birth Rate May Be Due to Low Confidence in Economy
- Fears Of Infection Spread Prompt Some US Hospitals To Refuse Ebola Patients
- Readers Slam a Book Showing That US Wealth And Power Rests on Slave Labour
- LG G Watch R To Be Available Globally Starting With Europe, North America And Asia Through Retail Sites And Play Store
- Young Teen Fighter Says ISIS Uses Drugs On Suicide Bombers To Get Them Perform The Act
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS