Muggers in San Francisco, US Now Target Samsung Devices Over Apple, ‘It’s What the Market Wants’
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 6, 2013 12:55 PM EST
In what seemed to be another feather on its cap, devices created by Samsung Electronics Co have entered the radar zone of muggers in San Francisco, U.S., with the device getting preferential treatment over Apple's iPhone.
According to the San Francisco Police Department, it seems Apple's market share has not only decelerated among legitimate consumers, but also among the city's muggers.
Joe Garrity, a captain from the department's Tenderloin Station, said they noticed that while iPhones continue to be the most sought-after stolen electronic device in the area, devices invented by the Korean Samsung are inching close behind the tally.
Half of the robberies that occur in the district are traced due to electronic devices. Of these, half are iPhones. But Samsung devices, especially with its more varied line of Galaxies, are now slowly getting to be the new vogue.
Thieves basically steal what's currently trending, Mr Garrity simply said. And because Samsung releases new devices more frequently than Apple, it therefore makes sense that the mugger's clientele would prefer the newest, hot device. Ultimately, muggers would stock more of them than the older ones.
And to prevent theft, it is just plain common sense to pay more attention to our surroundings, Mr Garrity said.
But experts think the stolen smartphones, either by Apple or Samsung, don't actually get sold locally but are marketed overseas where unsuspecting carriers, which do not take appropriate measures to block stolen phones from other networks, reactivate the stolen phones.
Smartphone makers typically deactivate the phone numbers of devices that have been stolen.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date