New Meat-Eating Dinosaur from Late Jurassic Period Discovered in China
May 5, 2013 8:44 PM EST
Scientists have identified the fossilised skeleton of a baby dinosaur, discovered in northwestern China, as a new species.
The skeletal remains represent a new species of coelurosaur, the clade containing all theropod dinosaurs including T. Rex. In 2006, scientists at the George Washington University discovered the dinosaur specimen while exploring the Shishugou Formation in China.
They recovered the partial skeleton as well as other remains of the dinosaur. Based on their estimations, researchers revealed that the skull belonged to a baby dinosaur that was less than a year old when it died. The new theropod measured about one metre (3 feet) long and weighed only 1.3 kilogramme (3 pounds), reported LiveScience.
Researchers named the new species as Aorun zhaoi after the Dragon King in the Chinese epic tale "Journey to the West". This is the fifth coelurosaur that has been discovered at the Shishugou Formation, a geological site from where diverse species of dinosaur specimens have been recovered. The layers of sedimentary rock at this site date back to the Late Jurassic period, more than 161 million years ago.
"All that was exposed on the surface was a bit of the leg. We were pleasantly surprised to find a skull buried in the rock too," James Clark, biologist at the George Washington University, said in a statement.
"We were able to look at microscopic details of Aorun's bones and they showed that the animal was less than a year old when it died on the banks of a stream," said Jonah Choiniere, a senior researcher at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg.
Researchers found that Aorun had small but numerous teeth, which suggest that the theropod might have eaten prey like lizards and small relatives of today's mammals and crocodilians.
The details of the findings are published in the journal of Systematic Palaeontology.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Centerplate CEO Des Hague Caught Abusing Dog In Vancouver Building Elevator [VIDEO]
- Boyfriend's Welcome Home Tribute In Candles Destroys His House
- 'Boob Aid': Japanese Porn Stars 'Excited' For 24HR Breasts Squeezing Charity
- The Most Insane Facts About The American Civil War That You May Not Know
- Viral Video Kevin Droniak Grandma: Teenager Shows Grandma Their Videos Together, Grandma Gives Priceless Reaction
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0