New Meat-Eating Dinosaur from Late Jurassic Period Discovered in China
May 5, 2013 8:44 PM EST
Scientists have identified the fossilised skeleton of a baby dinosaur, discovered in northwestern China, as a new species.
The skeletal remains represent a new species of coelurosaur, the clade containing all theropod dinosaurs including T. Rex. In 2006, scientists at the George Washington University discovered the dinosaur specimen while exploring the Shishugou Formation in China.
They recovered the partial skeleton as well as other remains of the dinosaur. Based on their estimations, researchers revealed that the skull belonged to a baby dinosaur that was less than a year old when it died. The new theropod measured about one metre (3 feet) long and weighed only 1.3 kilogramme (3 pounds), reported LiveScience.
Researchers named the new species as Aorun zhaoi after the Dragon King in the Chinese epic tale "Journey to the West". This is the fifth coelurosaur that has been discovered at the Shishugou Formation, a geological site from where diverse species of dinosaur specimens have been recovered. The layers of sedimentary rock at this site date back to the Late Jurassic period, more than 161 million years ago.
"All that was exposed on the surface was a bit of the leg. We were pleasantly surprised to find a skull buried in the rock too," James Clark, biologist at the George Washington University, said in a statement.
"We were able to look at microscopic details of Aorun's bones and they showed that the animal was less than a year old when it died on the banks of a stream," said Jonah Choiniere, a senior researcher at the University of the Witwatersrand in Johannesburg.
Researchers found that Aorun had small but numerous teeth, which suggest that the theropod might have eaten prey like lizards and small relatives of today's mammals and crocodilians.
The details of the findings are published in the journal of Systematic Palaeontology.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Reportedly Prohibits Camilla Parker-Bowles From ‘Seeing Her Family’ And Newborn
- Ebola in US: Stock Surge for Pharmaceutical Companies Working on Vaccine
- Local Syrians Have Mixed Reactions To US Airstrikes Against ISIS; Opposition 'Suspicious'
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy: Duchess Forced By The Queen To Be Out In The Public Again
- 5 Things You Should Know About House Training Your Pets
- Google HTC Nexus 9 Tablet October 24 Launch Date Benefits Many
- Apple iPhone 6 vs. OnePlus One: With Invitation-Only Model Rested, OnePlus One Can Be A Real Threat To iPhone 6
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Nexus 6: Which Smartphone Dominates
- New Windows OS Is Not Windows 9, Microsoft To Launch Windows 10 As New OS Build
- Samsung Aware Of Gap Issue On Galaxy Note 4, Mentions It As Important Manufacturing Feature In Note 4 User Manual
- ISIS Supporters are Walking Among the Many in the United States – Report
- Airstrikes Against ISIS Has Claimed Innocent Lives In Syria, Dubbed ‘Ineffective’ By Jihadi Fighters, US Military To Ask For More Spending Money