May Day 2013: Impressions Of New York's Central Park [PHOTOS]
May 5, 2013 5:45 AM EST
If Claude Monet were alive and well and living in New York, then he would have had a great time doing his Impressionistic, open-air painting thing in Central Park on May Day.
Azaleas, cherries, daisies, daffodils, irises, lavender, tulips, violets and a plethora of other plants were colorfully exploding in multinuanced shades of blue, green, red, white and yellow, with the air temperature at 65 degrees Fahrenheit and the cloudless sky as sunny as it could conceivably be at midday.
Monet is well-represented at the only world-class museum in Central Park (Metropolitan Museum of Art, home of his "Poppy Field, Argenteuil" , "The Bodmer Oak, Fontainebleau Forest"  and "View of Vetheuil" , among other floral masterpieces), and he would have reveled in the rich choice of subject matter in that place and at that time.
As masterly as Monet is or was, however, neither he nor any other artist -- Apologies, Camille Pissarro! Sorry, Pierre-Auguste Renoir! -- could have captured the total sensory experience of May Day in New York's Central Park. With AromaRama and Smell-O-Vision both apparently dead technologies, the only way to appreciate the fragrance of the honeysuckle outside Belvedere Castle Wednesday was to have been there and then, as we are grateful to have been.
Art historians may not consider Mother Nature an Impressionist, strictly speaking, but she, like artists associated with that movement, paints with a colorful palette, as shown by the following photographs.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Hello Kitty's Shocking News: She Is Not Cat But A Little Girl Of George and Mary White
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Paints Using Boxing Gloves in Promo for Philippine Edition of Sports Science TV Show He is Hosting
- Photographer Discovers Mime was Young Robin Williams 35 Years After
- How Bass and Heavy Music can Make you Feel Powerful
- Hair Iron Could Spell the Future of Instant Hair Colour - US Engineers [Watch Video]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans