Saudi Arabia: Public Beheading Possible for Australian held on Terror Charges
By Drishya Nair | May 4, 2013 11:25 PM EST
An Australian national detained by the Saudi Arabian government 18 months ago continues to be held in a jail outside Riyadh. There is now concern 25-year-old Shayden Thorne, who has been charged with terrorism-related offences, may face the death penalty.
Thorne was arrested in November 2011 after a laptop believed to belong to him was found to contain "terrorism-related material". Thorne's family say the laptop was borrowed from a mosque but security forces claim it was recovered during a raid on a gathering of extremists.
"You are subject to the law of the country you are in. Shayden has chosen to live there for 12 years and the laws of Saudi Arabia apply to him or anyone else in his position," the 65-year-old Senator stressed.
Tortured in Jail
Meanwhile, the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) quotes Thorne's 23-year-old brother, Junaid Mohammad Thorne, as saying his brother was "beaten very badly". Junaid also demanded to know why the government took 18 months to make the charges public and why they had detained him for so long in the absence of formal accusations.
Thorne's mother, understandably upset, accused the Australian government of dragging their heels over the situation. She claimed: "If they've got evidence against them OK, fine, but there's nothing. I just think that they [Canberra] are not doing as much as what they should be."
Experts Urge Caution
In what is likely to disappoint Thorne's supporters further, international policy experts believe there is a real threat of a death penalty for the young Australian.
"We really have to understand Saudi Arabia is an authoritarian regime, it's a heavy police state. They come down very strongly on... someone posing a security threat... own understanding of how to manage interrogations and jail terms, they are not a democracy," Alexey Muraviev, a researcher with Curtin University in Perth said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier