US DoD OKs Samsung, Blackberry For Defense Network, Approval for Apple Still Hangs
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 3, 2013 3:50 PM EST
The U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) on Thursday has finally stamped its approval paving for the usage of Samsung Electronics Co. and Research in Motion Ltd. (Blackberry) devices in its defense network.
BlackBerry 10 smartphones and BlackBerry PlayBook tablets running BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 as well as Samsung's Android Knox-based mobile devices passed the DoD's security tests for eventual deployment for the employees.
"This is a significant step toward establishing a multi- vendor environment that supports a variety of state-of-the-art devices and operating systems," Lieutenant Colonel Damien Pickart, a Pentagon spokesman, said in a statement.
Approval for Apple's iOS 6 operating system still hangs, but Lieutenant Colonel Pickart said it is expected to be released early this month, hinting the DoD is currently evaluating several more mobile devices and operating systems.
However, the approval for BlackBerry's new mobile OS and devices "does not result in product orders" since the department had long been using the brand as its preferred mode of communication tool.
BlackBerry users at DoD were accounted at 470,000, Apple users at 41,000 and people using Android at 8,700.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Australia Races Against Potential Genocide In Iraq
- Teachers’ Strike in BC, Canada Stalls 1st Day of School; Labour Dispute Could Last Even After Labour Day
- Ukraine Crisis: Putin Dangles Nuclear War Threat, US Senators Advise Sending Defensive Weapons
- James Foley Is A Spy – Jihadi Recruiter Reveals
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen