2013 NBA Mock Draft: Cody Zeller’s, Otto Porter’s Stock Up? Nerlens Noel, Ben McLemore Slipping?
May 3, 2013 7:23 AM EST
The official list of who is in and who is out of the 2013 NBA Draft was released earlier this week, and some big names that could have heard their named called in the lottery chose another year of college.
The decision by Michigan teammates Mitch McGary and Glenn Robinson III to stay for another year has moved a couple of players up the draft board. Both could have parlayed strong performances in the Wolverines NCAA tournament run into a first round selection, but instead opted for another year in Ann Arbor.
In the same vein, Michigan State guard Gary Harris will go back to school for his sophomore year, with much of his decision reportedly based on an injured shoulder.
Their choices may have benefited Indiana’s Cody Zeller, Maryland’s Alex Len, and 18-year-old Croatian small forward Dario Saric.
The top of the board hasn’t really budged, but recent rumblings suggest Georgetown small forward Otto Porter may have surpassed Kansas freshman Ben McLemore for the No. 2 overall selection.
If the draft order plays out in the top three based off the actual probabilities that would put Kentucky’s Nerlens Noel in Orlando, and send Porter to Charlotte, giving Cleveland an interesting and tough decision to make.
Last year Cleveland selected shooting guard Dion Waiters out of Syracuse, and he bloomed into a worthy backcourt mate for Kyrie Irving. That could cause McLemore to slip to either No. 4 or No. 5 overall to Phoenix or New Orleans, respectively, since the Cavaliers have already addressed the two-guard position.
The newly dubbed Pelicans may be thrilled to land McLemore, which would expedite the process of trading disgruntled and oft-injured shooting guard Eric Gordon for more assets to aid in the team’s rebuilding efforts.
Based off his talent, with some scouts comparing him to Ray Allen, it's unlikely McLemore slips past Phoenix.
Like the rest of the big men benefitting from McGary’s decision to stay put, Louisville defensive stud center Gorgui Dieng’s stock may have risen as well.
Below is an updated mock draft, with the order determined by overall team records. The actual draft order will be determined May 21 at the 2013 NBA Draft Lottery.
1) Orlando Magic, C, Nerlens Noel, Kentucky
2) Charlotte Bobcats, SG, Ben McLemore, Kansas
3) Cleveland Cavaliers, SF, Otto Porter, Georgetown
4) Phoenix Suns, PF, Anthony Bennett, UNLV
5) New Orleans Hornets, SG, Victor Oladipo, Indiana
6) Sacramento Kings, PG, Trey Burke, Michigan
7) Washington Wizards, C, Alex Len, Maryland
8) Detroit Pistons, SF, Shabazz Muhammad, UCLA
9) Minnesota Timberwolves, SF, Dario Saric, Croatia
10) Oklahoma City Thunder (via Toronto Raptors), C, Cody Zeller, Indiana
11) Portland Trailblazers, C, Kelly Olynyk, Gonzaga
12) Philadelphia 76ers, C, Gorgui Dieng, Louisville
13) Dallas Mavericks, PG, Michael Carter-Williams, Syracuse
14) Utah Jazz, SG, C.J. McCollum, Lehigh
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- 2014 Commonwealth Games Medal Tally: Games are Through Day 5 and Australia Continues to Dominate Count; Day 5 Highlights
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet