Parents Force Girl To Hold Sign: Nickell Family Punishes Daughter With ‘I’m A Self-Entitled Teenager’ Sign
May 3, 2013 12:16 AM EST
Two Florida parents are facing harsh criticism after they punished their 13-year-old daughter for “disrespectful behavior” by making her hold up a humiliating hand-written sign at a high traffic intersection for an hour and a half.
Gentry and Renee Nickell of Crestview, Fla. said that they forced their teenage daughter to hold the sign because they “just didn’t know what else to do,” the Northwest Florida Daily News reported. The sign, which read “I’m a self-entitled teenager w/ NO respect for authority. I’m also super smart, yet I have 3 “D”’s because I DON’T CARE! [sic]” caused such a stir among passing motorists that one resident even notified the police.
“We got to the point where we just didn’t know what else to do,” Renee Nickell said of the embarrassing punishment, adding that a Christian counselor gave her the idea years ago. “We just felt like she just kind of gave up.”
The Nickells claimed that their daughter’s behavior had gotten increasingly out of hand after the death of her uncle, Renee’s brother, who was killed in Afghanistan in December of 2011. While the Nickell’s entire family, including their two younger sons, had difficulty coping with his death, they said that their daughter in particular had become more and more disrespectful,l both at home and at school. But while they were eager to teach their daughter a lesson, they said that they had a difficult time finding a punishment that seemed to have any effect.
Grounding didn’t work, they said, and it was logistically difficult because they still wanted to allow her to attend all of her church-related activities. That’s why they eventually settled on the sign. What they evidently weren’t expecting, however, was for passersby to take photos of the sign, and for it to go viral on Facebook.
“I wasn’t even thinking about what the public was going to think,” Renee said. “I was thinking about our daughter. It was for her to be in the public and recognize what she had done wrong. I asked her, ‘Were you scarred? Traumatized?’ She said, ‘No mom, I knew it was coming.’”
When the community voiced outrage about the punishment online, the Nickell’s decided to issue a statement of their own. “Walk a mile in someone’s shoes,” it read. “We are a family that has been (through) recent trauma and it took a desperate attempt to show our daughter we are not letting her go, just like our Lord did for us.”
Gentry Nickell, who accompanied his daughter throughout the stint although he was not photographed, said that the sign has already had a positive impact. “At the end, she gave me a hug in front of the police officer and told me she was sorry,” he said.
Although the Nickells caught a bad rap for the stunt, they’re not the first parents to resort to sign shaming their offspring. Last year, another Florida family forced their 15-year-old daughter Jasmine to stand on a busy street corner wearing a sign that read I sneak boys in at 3 am and disrespect my parents and grandparents.”
"I've taken all her toys or her electronics away; her phone, no privileges on the TV or computer and still she just laughs about it,” Jasmine’s mother Melinda told the local news station WESH 2 News.
Also in August of 2012, a creative South Carolina mother made her 13-year-old son walk along the highway wearing a sign saying, “Smoked Pot, Got Caught, Don’t I Look Cool? NOT!”
"Time outs and taking things away just doesn't work anymore," Brandon Mathison’s mother April told WTOC. "Sometimes a little public humility is what they need nowadays to get a point across. If this works for him and maybe saves one or two other students from thinking about picking this stuff up, then I feel like I've done my job as a parent."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers