Ford Motor Company (F) To Hire 1,000 Workers After Posting 20% Increase In US Truck Sales For April
May 3, 2013 12:07 AM EST
The Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) will be adding more than 1,000 workers to its assembly plant in Claycomo, Mo., where the popular F-150 pickup is built, the automaker said. The hiring spree responds to greater demand for the Michigan-based auto manufacturer’s F-Series trucks.
"We are going to step up operations at Kansas City to ensure we have enough trucks to meet customer demand," Ford's Americas President Joe Hinrichs said.
Ford has sold 228,000 F-series pickups through April in the U.S., a pace that puts the company on pace for more than 700,000 sales this year.
As Ford is set to hire 900 workers for the F-Series shift, the second-largest U.S.-based automaker is renovating another part of the plant outside of Kansas City, Mo., to make a new full-size Transit cargo van, which will require an additional 1,100 workers. The investment in the facilities will top $1.1 billion.
While numbers released earlier this week indicate the slowing of U.S. auto sales, new home construction has reportedly helped boost pickup truck sales for Ford and its U.S. rivals, General Motors Company (NYSE:GM) and Chrysler Group LLC, which all posted greater than 20 percent increases in truck sales in April.
"The truck segment is growing three times faster than the overall industry," Hinrichs said. "The housing market is strengthening; we are seeing growth in the U.S. economy."
F-Series sales are up 19.1 percent this year, while total auto sales in the U.S. have increased 6.9 percent, according to Ford.
After Ford adds the third shift of workers at its Missouri plant, it will have two final assembly plants running at close to max capacity as they build F-Series trucks at a plant in Dearborn, Mich.
Analysts estimate the variable profit margin on pickups, excluding development costs, is as much as $10,000, compared with around $1,000 for sedans and smaller cars.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Mad Max Fury Road Film Trailer from Aussie Director George Miller Shown at 2014 Comic-Con in San Diego: Tom Hardy Replaces Mel Gibson! [WATCH VIDEO]
- Scandal Season 4 Update: Premiere Episode Title Revealed, A Different New Season
- ‘The Voice Australia’ Winner Anja Nissen Explains Why She Scrapped Delta Goodrem’s Song
- The Bachelor Australia: Blake Garvey Talks Adventurous Past, Season 2 First Look [VIDEO]
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]
- Sony Xperia Z3 Specs Leaked with More Killer Features Ahead of Samsung Galaxy Note 4, iPhone 6