Ford Motor Company (F) To Hire 1,000 Workers After Posting 20% Increase In US Truck Sales For April
May 3, 2013 12:07 AM EST
The Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) will be adding more than 1,000 workers to its assembly plant in Claycomo, Mo., where the popular F-150 pickup is built, the automaker said. The hiring spree responds to greater demand for the Michigan-based auto manufacturer’s F-Series trucks.
"We are going to step up operations at Kansas City to ensure we have enough trucks to meet customer demand," Ford's Americas President Joe Hinrichs said.
Ford has sold 228,000 F-series pickups through April in the U.S., a pace that puts the company on pace for more than 700,000 sales this year.
As Ford is set to hire 900 workers for the F-Series shift, the second-largest U.S.-based automaker is renovating another part of the plant outside of Kansas City, Mo., to make a new full-size Transit cargo van, which will require an additional 1,100 workers. The investment in the facilities will top $1.1 billion.
While numbers released earlier this week indicate the slowing of U.S. auto sales, new home construction has reportedly helped boost pickup truck sales for Ford and its U.S. rivals, General Motors Company (NYSE:GM) and Chrysler Group LLC, which all posted greater than 20 percent increases in truck sales in April.
"The truck segment is growing three times faster than the overall industry," Hinrichs said. "The housing market is strengthening; we are seeing growth in the U.S. economy."
F-Series sales are up 19.1 percent this year, while total auto sales in the U.S. have increased 6.9 percent, according to Ford.
After Ford adds the third shift of workers at its Missouri plant, it will have two final assembly plants running at close to max capacity as they build F-Series trucks at a plant in Dearborn, Mich.
Analysts estimate the variable profit margin on pickups, excluding development costs, is as much as $10,000, compared with around $1,000 for sedans and smaller cars.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 5 Types Of Defenses Or Bases On Clash Of Clans
- Former American Idol Contestant Dies at 32
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ Action Sequence Leaked With Han Solo And Chewie – Report [Spoilers]
- ‘Blue Bloods' Season 5 Recap: Episode 4 'Excessive Force' Aired On Oct. 17, 2014, Danny Gets Accused Of Police Brutality [WATCH VIDEOS]
- ‘Pokemon Omega Ruby And Alpha Sapphire’ Updates; PokeNav And Pokemon Halloween Detailed
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- iPhone 6 vs Nexus 6 vs Galaxy Note 4: Performance and User Interface Comparison
- Fappening: Message Board Posters Belittle Nude Photo Leakers As D-Listers Seeking Publicity
- Fappening: Lindsay Clubine, Wife Of Boston Red Sox Pitcher Clay Buchholz, & George Sampson Of Britain’s Got Talent, Are The Latest Victims Of Celebrity Nude Leaks
- U.S. Missile Shield In Europe Opens In Romania: Russia's Reservations Ignored
- Spain Offers To Train Iraqi Troops To Fight Back ISIS Militants: Kurdish Forces Making Gains In Kobani Against ISIS Surge