NASA's SDO Observes Sun Spewing Monstrous Wave [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 2, 2013 8:24 PM EST
NASA's Solar Dynamic Observatory (SDO) on Wednesday (1 May) filmed a video of a major Coronal Mass Ejection (CME), a phenomenon that spanned over two and half hours.
The CME, which was recorded in extreme ultraviolet light, occurred on the sun's limb and is not headed towards Earth, according to NASA.
CMEs are huge solar winds arising from the sun's atmosphere. They can shoot over a billion tons of particles into space at over a million miles per hour.
Generally, if a CME is strong enough, then it can affect satellites and astronauts functioning within the orbit. It can even cause severe damage to power structures on Earth and bring out several communication and network snags.
The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) was initiated by NASA in February 2010 and is slated to orbit for a period of five years. However, many satellites continue to function way past their estimated life span.
India Plans to launch satellite to study CME
To study and observe the Sun's CME and coronal magnetic field structures, the Advisory Committee for Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), has proposed a new satellite, Aditya, to be launched in 2015-16 from Sriharikota Satellite Launch Centre, Andhra Pradesh.
The satellite weighing 400 kilograms will be developed at a cost of ₹50 crore.
Here is NASA's video of Wednesday's CME phenomenon:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Scientists Make Astonishing Discovery Of An Invisible Shield Protecting Earth From Devastation--Report
- "Secret Space Programme": UFO Conspiracy Theorists Believe That NASA Is In Constant Touch With Aliens
- Dinosaur Discovery 2014: New Dinosaur Species Found Inside A Canadian Museum
- Australians Could Expect To See 30-40 Meteors An Hour During Geminid Shower On Dec 13-14
- Dogs Understand Human Language And Tone: UK Research
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S6 Will Shatter Records with 64-Bit Snapdragon, 21MP Camera and Bendable Design
- Lowe's Black Friday 2014 Deals Include Up To 40% Off On Select Major Appliances, Plus Free Shipping For Orders Of $19 Or More
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Best Buy,Target And Amazon Offer Huge Discounts On Tablets Like iPad Air 2, Shield Tablet, Surface Pro 3 And More
- Canada Jetlines Files For C$50 Million Airline IPO