NASA's SDO Observes Sun Spewing Monstrous Wave [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 2, 2013 8:24 PM EST
NASA's Solar Dynamic Observatory (SDO) on Wednesday (1 May) filmed a video of a major Coronal Mass Ejection (CME), a phenomenon that spanned over two and half hours.
The CME, which was recorded in extreme ultraviolet light, occurred on the sun's limb and is not headed towards Earth, according to NASA.
CMEs are huge solar winds arising from the sun's atmosphere. They can shoot over a billion tons of particles into space at over a million miles per hour.
Generally, if a CME is strong enough, then it can affect satellites and astronauts functioning within the orbit. It can even cause severe damage to power structures on Earth and bring out several communication and network snags.
The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) was initiated by NASA in February 2010 and is slated to orbit for a period of five years. However, many satellites continue to function way past their estimated life span.
India Plans to launch satellite to study CME
To study and observe the Sun's CME and coronal magnetic field structures, the Advisory Committee for Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), has proposed a new satellite, Aditya, to be launched in 2015-16 from Sriharikota Satellite Launch Centre, Andhra Pradesh.
The satellite weighing 400 kilograms will be developed at a cost of ₹50 crore.
Here is NASA's video of Wednesday's CME phenomenon:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WHO Races to Release Ebola Serum in 2 Weeks, Vaccines in January
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier