NASA's SDO Observes Sun Spewing Monstrous Wave [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 2, 2013 8:24 PM EST
NASA's Solar Dynamic Observatory (SDO) on Wednesday (1 May) filmed a video of a major Coronal Mass Ejection (CME), a phenomenon that spanned over two and half hours.
The CME, which was recorded in extreme ultraviolet light, occurred on the sun's limb and is not headed towards Earth, according to NASA.
CMEs are huge solar winds arising from the sun's atmosphere. They can shoot over a billion tons of particles into space at over a million miles per hour.
Generally, if a CME is strong enough, then it can affect satellites and astronauts functioning within the orbit. It can even cause severe damage to power structures on Earth and bring out several communication and network snags.
The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) was initiated by NASA in February 2010 and is slated to orbit for a period of five years. However, many satellites continue to function way past their estimated life span.
India Plans to launch satellite to study CME
To study and observe the Sun's CME and coronal magnetic field structures, the Advisory Committee for Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), has proposed a new satellite, Aditya, to be launched in 2015-16 from Sriharikota Satellite Launch Centre, Andhra Pradesh.
The satellite weighing 400 kilograms will be developed at a cost of ₹50 crore.
Here is NASA's video of Wednesday's CME phenomenon:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Regular Sexual Intercourse Can Ward Off Erection Problems, Say Researchers
- Alien Mystery Solved: NASA Reveals the Truth About the Strange Figure Recorded on the Moon (Watch Video)
- Real Life Mermaid Swims in Paris: Viewers Amazed (Watch Video)
- Climate Change Has Given Birth to New Hybrid Species: Evolution Before Man's Eyes
- Alien Base Found on Moon: UFO Enthusiasts Celebrate [Watch Video]
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display