NASA's SDO Observes Sun Spewing Monstrous Wave [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 2, 2013 8:24 PM EST
NASA's Solar Dynamic Observatory (SDO) on Wednesday (1 May) filmed a video of a major Coronal Mass Ejection (CME), a phenomenon that spanned over two and half hours.
The CME, which was recorded in extreme ultraviolet light, occurred on the sun's limb and is not headed towards Earth, according to NASA.
CMEs are huge solar winds arising from the sun's atmosphere. They can shoot over a billion tons of particles into space at over a million miles per hour.
Generally, if a CME is strong enough, then it can affect satellites and astronauts functioning within the orbit. It can even cause severe damage to power structures on Earth and bring out several communication and network snags.
The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) was initiated by NASA in February 2010 and is slated to orbit for a period of five years. However, many satellites continue to function way past their estimated life span.
India Plans to launch satellite to study CME
To study and observe the Sun's CME and coronal magnetic field structures, the Advisory Committee for Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), has proposed a new satellite, Aditya, to be launched in 2015-16 from Sriharikota Satellite Launch Centre, Andhra Pradesh.
The satellite weighing 400 kilograms will be developed at a cost of ₹50 crore.
Here is NASA's video of Wednesday's CME phenomenon:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Lady Gaga Wants David Bowie To Perform With Her In Space
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- HTC ‘Double Exposure’ Event On October 8 Could Unveil HTC Eye With 5.2-inch FHD Display
- Apple iOS 8 Can Trump Google Android 5.0 L Upon September 17 Release
- Ukraine Crisis: Poland Denies Supplying Weapons To Kiev
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Countdown Begins Oct 8: 8 Killer Specs and Features to Expect