NASA's SDO Observes Sun Spewing Monstrous Wave [VIDEO]
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | May 2, 2013 8:24 PM EST
NASA's Solar Dynamic Observatory (SDO) on Wednesday (1 May) filmed a video of a major Coronal Mass Ejection (CME), a phenomenon that spanned over two and half hours.
The CME, which was recorded in extreme ultraviolet light, occurred on the sun's limb and is not headed towards Earth, according to NASA.
CMEs are huge solar winds arising from the sun's atmosphere. They can shoot over a billion tons of particles into space at over a million miles per hour.
Generally, if a CME is strong enough, then it can affect satellites and astronauts functioning within the orbit. It can even cause severe damage to power structures on Earth and bring out several communication and network snags.
The Solar Dynamics Observatory (SDO) was initiated by NASA in February 2010 and is slated to orbit for a period of five years. However, many satellites continue to function way past their estimated life span.
India Plans to launch satellite to study CME
To study and observe the Sun's CME and coronal magnetic field structures, the Advisory Committee for Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), has proposed a new satellite, Aditya, to be launched in 2015-16 from Sriharikota Satellite Launch Centre, Andhra Pradesh.
The satellite weighing 400 kilograms will be developed at a cost of ₹50 crore.
Here is NASA's video of Wednesday's CME phenomenon:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- UFO Sighting in Australia: A Mysterious 'Flying' Object With Changing Colors Observed[Watch Video]
- Volcano Eruption In Iceland: Lava Erupts More Than 50 Meters High, Prompts Aviation Alert [Video]
- Artificial Micro-Humans to Replace Animals in Lab Tests: 90 Million Animal Lives Would be Saved
- Images Of Solar Flare Captured By NASA [Watch Video]
- Stargazing: Saturn, Moon and Mars Meet Up Last August 31
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers