Sony Xperia U Update with Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean Firmware [Full Installation Guide]
By Ryan Inoyori | May 2, 2013 3:30 PM EST
The official update for Sony Xperia U is still under development and if you're tired of waiting for it to be released, you can update it yourself to Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM based on the AOSP version.
Sony Xperia U is viable for Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean update using a custom ROM with build 6.2.A.0.400 firmware. Since the official update hasn't been released yet, why stress yourself if can get all the Sony applications, features and Jelly Bean goodness.
- This must be flashed only to Sony Xperia U ST25. Do not install this custom ROM to other devices or suffer the consequences.
- Your Xperia U must be unlock to flash this custom ROM.
- Create a backup of all your personal information, settings and data files on your phone.
- Install the ADB Drivers on your computer.
- Download the Sony Xperia U Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean custom ROM on your computer
- Download the Fix Zip and the Fastboot Zip files.
Warning: This is a custom ROM and should only be flashed to the right phone model. Developers are not liable for any damages which may occur on your device. Read and follow the instructions carefully to prevent any errors during installation. Do this at your own risk.
1. Extract the files from the Fastboot zip you have downloaded earlier.
2. Extract the downloaded ROM containing "boot.img" file and copy it to the fastboot file folder.
3. Copy the downloaded custom ROM and the Fix zip files to the Xperia U's internal memory.
4. Switch off the device and wait till the shutdown is complete.
5. Connect the device to the computer via USB cable while pressing Volume up key. This will bring your phone into fastboot or bootloader mode.
6. Go to your computer and open the fastboot folder.
7. Press and hold the shift key then right click inside the fastboot folder to open the window context menu. Select the "open command window here."
8. Type in this command line on the command window: fastboot devices
9. It should display "xxxx xxxx fastboot device" message confirming that the device is detected. Otherwise, reinstall the ADB drivers, disconnect your phone and reconnect it again.
10. After the confirmation, type in this command line: fastboot flash boot boot.img
11. Once "finished in..." is displayed, disconnect your device.
12. Switch on the power of the Xperia U.
13. Press continuously and release the Volume Up key once you see the Fist Logo. This will boot the device into recovery mode.
14. Inside the ClockworkMod recovery, perform an Android backup to save your current ROM. Go to "backup and restore > backup."
15. Perform a full wipe on your device. Select "wipe data/factory reset" and "wipe cache partition." Confirm both selections.
16. Perform the Dalvick cache wipe, go to the main menu, select "advanced > wipe dalvik cache."
17. Go back and select "install zip from SD card > choose zip from SD card." Choose the custom ROM you have copied on your device.
18. Once the installation has been completed, go back and select "reboot."
Well done! Your Sony Xperia U is now running Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with this custom ROM. If ever you wanted to go back with the previous ROM, follow the Android backup and restore link.
For any comments or suggestions, send your feedback to the XDA developer's original thread.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 to Feature Retina Scanner Challenging iPad Retina and iPhone 6
- Nexus 6 Likely Confirmed as Motorola 5.9-Inch Phablet on Release Date – Report
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs. OnePlus One—Specifications, Features, Release Date and Price Showdown
- These 2 Questions Reveal if You Unwittingly Abuse Alcohol
- Jennifer Lopez and Her Wild 45th Birthday Party: How JLo’s Life-Size Birthday Cake from SamiCakes Boutique Was Made
- Blake Griffin’s Back Injury Is the Reason for His Withdrawal from Team U.S.A.
- Supernatural Season 10 Spoilers: Metatron Capable of Saving Castiel's Fading Grace
- Anderson Silva To Test the Octagon Anew After Freak Leg Injury, To Fight Nick Diaz in 2015