Samsung to Recall Units for Faulty, Exploding Washing Machines
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 2, 2013 12:50 PM EST
SAMSUNG Electronics Australia Pty Ltd has ordered for the recall of at least six models of its top loading washing due to a string of reported fire risk and hazards incidents.
The particular models were SW75V9WIP; SW65V9WIP; SW70SPWIP; SW80SPWIP; WA85GWGIP; and, WA85GWWIP that were manufactured between 2010 and 2013.
At least 150,000 of these models were sold in Australia, while 36,000 were purchased by customers in New Zealand.
At least 15 fires that occurred in Australia were traced to the faulty, exploding top loader Samsung washing machines. When the models were continuously operated and used, moisture penetrate the electrical connectors, thus giving off an electrical spark.
This could ignite a fire in the "connector housing area", Samsung said.
"Samsung recommends, as a precaution, you only use your washing machine if you are present or nearby to monitor it. If you notice any smoke or smell coming out of the washing machine, turn off the machine at the power point," an advisory on the ACCC's Product Safety website read.
Samsung has likewise established various channels for customers to field in their washing machine recall enquiries, to include:
- a 24-hour hotline - 1800 239 655 and 1800 680 174
- email address - firstname.lastname@example.org
- microsite - www.samsung.com/au/washingmachinerecall
A free home repair will be arranged for those with affected models. Authorized technicians will fix the problem with a "minor product repair" by sealing the electrical connectors to prevent moisture getting through.
Customers could check the 13-digit model name on the back of their machine to confirm if they owned one of these models.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Meeks Death Hoax: Handsome Felon's Fake Death after Release from Jail Goes Viral
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More