Samsung to Recall Units for Faulty, Exploding Washing Machines
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 2, 2013 12:50 PM EST
SAMSUNG Electronics Australia Pty Ltd has ordered for the recall of at least six models of its top loading washing due to a string of reported fire risk and hazards incidents.
The particular models were SW75V9WIP; SW65V9WIP; SW70SPWIP; SW80SPWIP; WA85GWGIP; and, WA85GWWIP that were manufactured between 2010 and 2013.
At least 150,000 of these models were sold in Australia, while 36,000 were purchased by customers in New Zealand.
At least 15 fires that occurred in Australia were traced to the faulty, exploding top loader Samsung washing machines. When the models were continuously operated and used, moisture penetrate the electrical connectors, thus giving off an electrical spark.
This could ignite a fire in the "connector housing area", Samsung said.
"Samsung recommends, as a precaution, you only use your washing machine if you are present or nearby to monitor it. If you notice any smoke or smell coming out of the washing machine, turn off the machine at the power point," an advisory on the ACCC's Product Safety website read.
Samsung has likewise established various channels for customers to field in their washing machine recall enquiries, to include:
- a 24-hour hotline - 1800 239 655 and 1800 680 174
- email address - firstname.lastname@example.org
- microsite - www.samsung.com/au/washingmachinerecall
A free home repair will be arranged for those with affected models. Authorized technicians will fix the problem with a "minor product repair" by sealing the electrical connectors to prevent moisture getting through.
Customers could check the 13-digit model name on the back of their machine to confirm if they owned one of these models.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- Unofficial ‘Samsung Galaxy Alpha’ Can Now Be Purchased For $700 In The US
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Canada Consumer Alert: Costco No Longer Accepting American Express Cards Starting Jan 1
- Sony Xperia E3 vs. Moto G (2014) – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown