Samsung to Recall Units for Faulty, Exploding Washing Machines
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 2, 2013 12:50 PM EST
SAMSUNG Electronics Australia Pty Ltd has ordered for the recall of at least six models of its top loading washing due to a string of reported fire risk and hazards incidents.
The particular models were SW75V9WIP; SW65V9WIP; SW70SPWIP; SW80SPWIP; WA85GWGIP; and, WA85GWWIP that were manufactured between 2010 and 2013.
At least 150,000 of these models were sold in Australia, while 36,000 were purchased by customers in New Zealand.
At least 15 fires that occurred in Australia were traced to the faulty, exploding top loader Samsung washing machines. When the models were continuously operated and used, moisture penetrate the electrical connectors, thus giving off an electrical spark.
This could ignite a fire in the "connector housing area", Samsung said.
"Samsung recommends, as a precaution, you only use your washing machine if you are present or nearby to monitor it. If you notice any smoke or smell coming out of the washing machine, turn off the machine at the power point," an advisory on the ACCC's Product Safety website read.
Samsung has likewise established various channels for customers to field in their washing machine recall enquiries, to include:
- a 24-hour hotline - 1800 239 655 and 1800 680 174
- email address - firstname.lastname@example.org
- microsite - www.samsung.com/au/washingmachinerecall
A free home repair will be arranged for those with affected models. Authorized technicians will fix the problem with a "minor product repair" by sealing the electrical connectors to prevent moisture getting through.
Customers could check the 13-digit model name on the back of their machine to confirm if they owned one of these models.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS