Samsung to Recall Units for Faulty, Exploding Washing Machines
By Esther Tanquintic-Misa | May 2, 2013 12:50 PM EST
SAMSUNG Electronics Australia Pty Ltd has ordered for the recall of at least six models of its top loading washing due to a string of reported fire risk and hazards incidents.
The particular models were SW75V9WIP; SW65V9WIP; SW70SPWIP; SW80SPWIP; WA85GWGIP; and, WA85GWWIP that were manufactured between 2010 and 2013.
At least 150,000 of these models were sold in Australia, while 36,000 were purchased by customers in New Zealand.
At least 15 fires that occurred in Australia were traced to the faulty, exploding top loader Samsung washing machines. When the models were continuously operated and used, moisture penetrate the electrical connectors, thus giving off an electrical spark.
This could ignite a fire in the "connector housing area", Samsung said.
"Samsung recommends, as a precaution, you only use your washing machine if you are present or nearby to monitor it. If you notice any smoke or smell coming out of the washing machine, turn off the machine at the power point," an advisory on the ACCC's Product Safety website read.
Samsung has likewise established various channels for customers to field in their washing machine recall enquiries, to include:
- a 24-hour hotline - 1800 239 655 and 1800 680 174
- email address - email@example.com
- microsite - www.samsung.com/au/washingmachinerecall
A free home repair will be arranged for those with affected models. Authorized technicians will fix the problem with a "minor product repair" by sealing the electrical connectors to prevent moisture getting through.
Customers could check the 13-digit model name on the back of their machine to confirm if they owned one of these models.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]