Tim Tebow Rumors: Bears, Patriots And Chargers Might Be Only Signing Options
May 2, 2013 1:11 AM EST
Tim Tebow became a free agent on Monday when he was released by the New York Jets.
The club decided to let the quarterback go after selecting Geno Smith in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Smith became the sixth signal caller on the Jets roster.
Tebow can sign with any team that has enough room under the salary cap, but he may not have that many suitors. Despite his popularity and leading the Denver Broncos to the 2011 playoffs, the former Heisman Trophy winner won’t be highly sought after this offseason.
A handful of clubs may have interest in Tebow, but his options in the NFL will be limited.
Marc Trestman’s history with Tebow has led many to believe that the quarterback's best chance of landing an NFL gig is with the Bears.
Chicago’s new head coach was hired in 2010 to help the Florida grad prepare for the Senior Bowl and draft. After working with him, Trestman had glowing things to say about the quarterback.
"If you're a coach and you love coaching quarterbacks, you'd love the opportunity to develop Tim Tebow,” said Trestman.
With Jay Cutler at the helm, the Bears are not looking for a quarterback who’ll get any type of playing time. A source has even told the Chicago Tribune that the team isn’t interested in signing Tebow.
However, Chicago doesn’t have a reliable backup on the roster, and Trestman’s fondness of Tebow could force the club to take a second look their options.
New England Patriots
If anybody can find a way to make use out of Tebow’s skills, it might be Bill Belichick.
The Patriots are set at quarterback with Tom Brady but don’t have much in the way of a backup with Ryan Mallett and Mike Kafka on the roster. Also, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels drafted Tebow when he was the head coach of the Broncos.
Tebow could have value for the Patriots at a position other than quarterback, and Belichick has a history of putting players at multiple positions. Both Troy Brown and Edelman played wide receiver and defensive back for teams that went to the Super Bowl.
There have been rumors in the past tha New Englad might sign Tebow and it would be hard to rule the Patriots out this time around.
San Diego Chargers
Tebow’s final option may be to sign with the Chargers.
San Diego’s new head coach, Mike McCoy, was Tebow’s offensive coordinator with the Broncos. There are a lot of questions concerning whether or not Tebow can have success at quarterback, but McCoy has already proven that he can win with Tebow.
Philip Rivers is the team’s starter, so Tebow wouldn’t be asked to do much, but he could help San Diego for a short span, if Rivers were to suffer an injury. If McCoy and Tebow were able to reach the postseason in 2011, there’s a good chance they could win a few games together, especially if Tebow’s mechanics are improved.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Manchester United: Did Ed Woodward Really Uttered Expletives During The Red Devils' Draw Against West Brom?
- Chelsea FC: No 'Crying' For The Blues Amid Injury Woes Ahead Of Man Utd Clash, Says Mourinho
- Lamar Odom’s Hope Of Reuniting With Khloe Kardashian Crushed, ‘KUWTK’ Star Reportedly Dating Wiz Khalifa
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier
- Galaxy Note 4: Best Big-Screen Phone, Says Samsung; Analysts Believe Note 4 Unlikely To Beat iPhone 6 Plus [Watch Video]