Tim Tebow Rumors: Bears, Patriots And Chargers Might Be Only Signing Options
May 2, 2013 1:11 AM EST
Tim Tebow became a free agent on Monday when he was released by the New York Jets.
The club decided to let the quarterback go after selecting Geno Smith in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Smith became the sixth signal caller on the Jets roster.
Tebow can sign with any team that has enough room under the salary cap, but he may not have that many suitors. Despite his popularity and leading the Denver Broncos to the 2011 playoffs, the former Heisman Trophy winner won’t be highly sought after this offseason.
A handful of clubs may have interest in Tebow, but his options in the NFL will be limited.
Marc Trestman’s history with Tebow has led many to believe that the quarterback's best chance of landing an NFL gig is with the Bears.
Chicago’s new head coach was hired in 2010 to help the Florida grad prepare for the Senior Bowl and draft. After working with him, Trestman had glowing things to say about the quarterback.
"If you're a coach and you love coaching quarterbacks, you'd love the opportunity to develop Tim Tebow,” said Trestman.
With Jay Cutler at the helm, the Bears are not looking for a quarterback who’ll get any type of playing time. A source has even told the Chicago Tribune that the team isn’t interested in signing Tebow.
However, Chicago doesn’t have a reliable backup on the roster, and Trestman’s fondness of Tebow could force the club to take a second look their options.
New England Patriots
If anybody can find a way to make use out of Tebow’s skills, it might be Bill Belichick.
The Patriots are set at quarterback with Tom Brady but don’t have much in the way of a backup with Ryan Mallett and Mike Kafka on the roster. Also, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels drafted Tebow when he was the head coach of the Broncos.
Tebow could have value for the Patriots at a position other than quarterback, and Belichick has a history of putting players at multiple positions. Both Troy Brown and Edelman played wide receiver and defensive back for teams that went to the Super Bowl.
There have been rumors in the past tha New Englad might sign Tebow and it would be hard to rule the Patriots out this time around.
San Diego Chargers
Tebow’s final option may be to sign with the Chargers.
San Diego’s new head coach, Mike McCoy, was Tebow’s offensive coordinator with the Broncos. There are a lot of questions concerning whether or not Tebow can have success at quarterback, but McCoy has already proven that he can win with Tebow.
Philip Rivers is the team’s starter, so Tebow wouldn’t be asked to do much, but he could help San Diego for a short span, if Rivers were to suffer an injury. If McCoy and Tebow were able to reach the postseason in 2011, there’s a good chance they could win a few games together, especially if Tebow’s mechanics are improved.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: Spain vs. Iran Preview, Starting Lineups
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Finland Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Wenger's Take on Falcao and Rabiot
- Chelsea FC Transfer News: Blues Striker Fernando Torres Heads To AC Milan
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Signing A Striker Is Still Considered By Wenger
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October