Tim Tebow Rumors: Bears, Patriots And Chargers Might Be Only Signing Options
May 2, 2013 1:11 AM EST
Tim Tebow became a free agent on Monday when he was released by the New York Jets.
The club decided to let the quarterback go after selecting Geno Smith in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Smith became the sixth signal caller on the Jets roster.
Tebow can sign with any team that has enough room under the salary cap, but he may not have that many suitors. Despite his popularity and leading the Denver Broncos to the 2011 playoffs, the former Heisman Trophy winner won’t be highly sought after this offseason.
A handful of clubs may have interest in Tebow, but his options in the NFL will be limited.
Marc Trestman’s history with Tebow has led many to believe that the quarterback's best chance of landing an NFL gig is with the Bears.
Chicago’s new head coach was hired in 2010 to help the Florida grad prepare for the Senior Bowl and draft. After working with him, Trestman had glowing things to say about the quarterback.
"If you're a coach and you love coaching quarterbacks, you'd love the opportunity to develop Tim Tebow,” said Trestman.
With Jay Cutler at the helm, the Bears are not looking for a quarterback who’ll get any type of playing time. A source has even told the Chicago Tribune that the team isn’t interested in signing Tebow.
However, Chicago doesn’t have a reliable backup on the roster, and Trestman’s fondness of Tebow could force the club to take a second look their options.
New England Patriots
If anybody can find a way to make use out of Tebow’s skills, it might be Bill Belichick.
The Patriots are set at quarterback with Tom Brady but don’t have much in the way of a backup with Ryan Mallett and Mike Kafka on the roster. Also, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels drafted Tebow when he was the head coach of the Broncos.
Tebow could have value for the Patriots at a position other than quarterback, and Belichick has a history of putting players at multiple positions. Both Troy Brown and Edelman played wide receiver and defensive back for teams that went to the Super Bowl.
There have been rumors in the past tha New Englad might sign Tebow and it would be hard to rule the Patriots out this time around.
San Diego Chargers
Tebow’s final option may be to sign with the Chargers.
San Diego’s new head coach, Mike McCoy, was Tebow’s offensive coordinator with the Broncos. There are a lot of questions concerning whether or not Tebow can have success at quarterback, but McCoy has already proven that he can win with Tebow.
Philip Rivers is the team’s starter, so Tebow wouldn’t be asked to do much, but he could help San Diego for a short span, if Rivers were to suffer an injury. If McCoy and Tebow were able to reach the postseason in 2011, there’s a good chance they could win a few games together, especially if Tebow’s mechanics are improved.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon