Tim Tebow Rumors: Bears, Patriots And Chargers Might Be Only Signing Options
May 2, 2013 1:11 AM EST
Tim Tebow became a free agent on Monday when he was released by the New York Jets.
The club decided to let the quarterback go after selecting Geno Smith in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft. Smith became the sixth signal caller on the Jets roster.
Tebow can sign with any team that has enough room under the salary cap, but he may not have that many suitors. Despite his popularity and leading the Denver Broncos to the 2011 playoffs, the former Heisman Trophy winner won’t be highly sought after this offseason.
A handful of clubs may have interest in Tebow, but his options in the NFL will be limited.
Marc Trestman’s history with Tebow has led many to believe that the quarterback's best chance of landing an NFL gig is with the Bears.
Chicago’s new head coach was hired in 2010 to help the Florida grad prepare for the Senior Bowl and draft. After working with him, Trestman had glowing things to say about the quarterback.
"If you're a coach and you love coaching quarterbacks, you'd love the opportunity to develop Tim Tebow,” said Trestman.
With Jay Cutler at the helm, the Bears are not looking for a quarterback who’ll get any type of playing time. A source has even told the Chicago Tribune that the team isn’t interested in signing Tebow.
However, Chicago doesn’t have a reliable backup on the roster, and Trestman’s fondness of Tebow could force the club to take a second look their options.
New England Patriots
If anybody can find a way to make use out of Tebow’s skills, it might be Bill Belichick.
The Patriots are set at quarterback with Tom Brady but don’t have much in the way of a backup with Ryan Mallett and Mike Kafka on the roster. Also, offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels drafted Tebow when he was the head coach of the Broncos.
Tebow could have value for the Patriots at a position other than quarterback, and Belichick has a history of putting players at multiple positions. Both Troy Brown and Edelman played wide receiver and defensive back for teams that went to the Super Bowl.
There have been rumors in the past tha New Englad might sign Tebow and it would be hard to rule the Patriots out this time around.
San Diego Chargers
Tebow’s final option may be to sign with the Chargers.
San Diego’s new head coach, Mike McCoy, was Tebow’s offensive coordinator with the Broncos. There are a lot of questions concerning whether or not Tebow can have success at quarterback, but McCoy has already proven that he can win with Tebow.
Philip Rivers is the team’s starter, so Tebow wouldn’t be asked to do much, but he could help San Diego for a short span, if Rivers were to suffer an injury. If McCoy and Tebow were able to reach the postseason in 2011, there’s a good chance they could win a few games together, especially if Tebow’s mechanics are improved.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports