April 2013 US Auto Sales: Up For General Motors (GM), Ford (F), Chrysler, VW (VOW), Honda (HMC), Toyota (TM)
By Angelo Young | May 2, 2013 1:10 AM EST
General Motors Co. (NYSE:GM), North America’s largest automaker, announced Wednesday it sold 237,646 cars and light trucks in April, an 11 percent increase from last year on robust demand for the Chevrolet Cruze sedan, Equinox crossover and Tahoe SUV.
GM’s seasonally adjusted annual rate of sales (SAAR) estimate for the calendar year stands at 15.2 million units, up from last year’s 14.5 million and within the 15 million to 15.5 million units that most analysts expect. If achieved with sustained momentum, then 2014 could see the U.S. auto market back to 2007 levels, prior to the recession that sent auto sales plummeting and drove two of three U.S. automakers to seek help from the U.S. taxpayer.
“The Detroit Three had a particularly strong month -- all had double-digit sales increases that look as if they will outpace the industry's growth,” said Michelle Krebs of Edmunds.com. “Strength is coming from full-size pickup trucks, which may well have gained a full percentage point of market share from a year ago."
As with competitors Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) and Chrysler Group LLC, GM saw sales of its popular pickup truck, the Silverado, boost revenue as the rebounding housing market lifted demand for America’s perennial favorite vehicle type.
Combined, the three auto makers sold 606,928 vehicles last month, representing the bulk of total sales but not including major foreign auto companies, like Honda and VW, which announce their sales figures throughout the day.
GM’s Chevrolet sold 39,395 Silverado pickups last month, a 28 percent spike from April of last year. The company will be delivering the 2014 model to dealers this summer, so if demand for trucks continues, the company will want to unload its older models and get sales rolling for the newer one.
“GM will be looking to reduce Chevrolet pickup supply if inventory is still high when sales are reported,” said Paul Taylor, chief economist for the National Automobile Dealers Association.
The 2013 Cadillac XTS luxury sedan helped push sales up 34.3 percent in GM’s luxury segment. The Cadillac SRX crossover and the CTS sedan, the most popular brands in the segment, saw sales decline last month while the three Escalade SUV models saw gains in sales.
“Car-buying conditions are strong and will continue to release pent-up demand,” said Kurt McNeil, GM’s vice president of U.S. sales, in the sales announcement. GM’s SAAR, for the entire U.S. auto market in April was 15 million vehicles, 200,000 fewer than March. April tends to see sales decline from March, which is typically the best month for auto sales in the first quarter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘Castle’ Season 7 Spoilers: Premiere Episode Title, Rick Castle’s Disappearance Mystery ‘Not’ To Be Resolved Soon
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE Android 4.4.4 KitKat CM 11 M9 Stable ROM Installation and Guide
- 'Suits' Season 4 Spoilers: 'Litt Up' Consequences in Summer Finale; Cliffhanger Awaits, Says Series Creator [Watch Suits 4x10 Promo Video]
- ‘World Of Warcraft Warlords Of Draenor' Patch 6.0.1 Beta Notes Update For The Classes Including Druid, Rogue And Priest [WATCH VIDEO]
- Dwyane Wade Faces Foreclosure on His Chicago Property
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region