April 2013 US Auto Sales: Up For General Motors (GM), Ford (F), Chrysler, VW (VOW), Honda (HMC), Toyota (TM)
By Angelo Young | May 2, 2013 1:10 AM EST
General Motors Co. (NYSE:GM), North America’s largest automaker, announced Wednesday it sold 237,646 cars and light trucks in April, an 11 percent increase from last year on robust demand for the Chevrolet Cruze sedan, Equinox crossover and Tahoe SUV.
GM’s seasonally adjusted annual rate of sales (SAAR) estimate for the calendar year stands at 15.2 million units, up from last year’s 14.5 million and within the 15 million to 15.5 million units that most analysts expect. If achieved with sustained momentum, then 2014 could see the U.S. auto market back to 2007 levels, prior to the recession that sent auto sales plummeting and drove two of three U.S. automakers to seek help from the U.S. taxpayer.
“The Detroit Three had a particularly strong month -- all had double-digit sales increases that look as if they will outpace the industry's growth,” said Michelle Krebs of Edmunds.com. “Strength is coming from full-size pickup trucks, which may well have gained a full percentage point of market share from a year ago."
As with competitors Ford Motor Company (NYSE:F) and Chrysler Group LLC, GM saw sales of its popular pickup truck, the Silverado, boost revenue as the rebounding housing market lifted demand for America’s perennial favorite vehicle type.
Combined, the three auto makers sold 606,928 vehicles last month, representing the bulk of total sales but not including major foreign auto companies, like Honda and VW, which announce their sales figures throughout the day.
GM’s Chevrolet sold 39,395 Silverado pickups last month, a 28 percent spike from April of last year. The company will be delivering the 2014 model to dealers this summer, so if demand for trucks continues, the company will want to unload its older models and get sales rolling for the newer one.
“GM will be looking to reduce Chevrolet pickup supply if inventory is still high when sales are reported,” said Paul Taylor, chief economist for the National Automobile Dealers Association.
The 2013 Cadillac XTS luxury sedan helped push sales up 34.3 percent in GM’s luxury segment. The Cadillac SRX crossover and the CTS sedan, the most popular brands in the segment, saw sales decline last month while the three Escalade SUV models saw gains in sales.
“Car-buying conditions are strong and will continue to release pent-up demand,” said Kurt McNeil, GM’s vice president of U.S. sales, in the sales announcement. GM’s SAAR, for the entire U.S. auto market in April was 15 million vehicles, 200,000 fewer than March. April tends to see sales decline from March, which is typically the best month for auto sales in the first quarter.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Boards London Train in Casual Disguise, Royal Couple’s Incognito Plan A Huge Hit [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Putin To Sweep Kiev With Nuclear Weapon Not Seen Since World War 2
- Nabi Big Tab HD: A Giant Tab Measuring 20 to 24 Inches For The Whole Family
- ISIS Beheading Video of Steven Sotloff Sparks Outrage; Family Believes Footage is 'Authentic'
- Global Markets Overview – September 3, 2014
- Hike App Tops 35 Million Users: It's Privacy Settings are a Hit Among Indian Teens
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- HTC One M8 for Windows Vs. Nokia Lumia Icon, The Battle Of Windows Phones