UFO Sighting: Airbus 320 in Near Collision with a UFO, Leaves Scotland Air Traffic Officials Baffled
By Frances Samson | May 1, 2013 11:52 AM EST
An Airbus 320 figured in an almost mid-air collision with a UFO over at Baillieston on the outskirts of Glasgow, Scotland according to reports.
The passenger plane, which could sit up to 220 people, was said to be just seconds away and about 300 feet close from crashing into the flying object as it approached the Glasgow Airport in Scotland.
Members of the UK Airprox Board who investigate reports of near misses have yet to offer conclusive findings on the incident.
The aircraft's pilot was evidently stunned as he reported to the air traffic control officers the imminent risk of collision with a "blue and yellow" object passing below the Airbus 320.
"We just had something pass underneath us quite close. Have you got anything on in our area," the pilot asked the control tower.
The air traffic officials said they got nothing on radar and were not communicating with any traffic either.
When suggested that it could probably be something like a glider, both pilots said it just looked too big for that or even for a balloon.
"We were probably about four hundred to five hundred feet above it so it's probably about three and a half thousand feet (in height)," they said.
The two pilots described the object as "blue and yellow (or silver) in colour with a small frontal area" They could not provide further information aside from the colour since they only had fleeting glimpses of the object.
In addition, a detailed investigation of radar sources also did not produce conclusive radar data that matched the account of the pilot regarding the encounter.
The UK Airprox Board are still baffled even after extensive investigation. Initially, they considered some possible candidates for the unidentified aircraft.
"Members were of the opinion that, in the absence of a primary radar return, it was unlikely that the untraced aircraft was a fixed-wing or rotary-wing aircraft or man-carrying balloon.
'It was considered that a meteorological balloon would be radar significant and unlikely to be released in the area of the Airprox.
"A glider could not be discounted but it was felt unlikely that one would be operating in that area, both due to the constrained airspace and the lack of thermal activity due to the low temperature.
Also, the board considered that a hang-glider or para-motor would be radar significant and that space and atmospheric conditions likewise precluded them, as in the case of para-gliders or parascenders.
"Members were unable to reach a conclusion as to a likely candidate for the conflicting aircraft and it was therefore felt that the Board had insufficient information to determine a cause or risk."
The Airbus 320 involved in the incident has still not been accounted for which airline it belongs.
There are several airlines that fly A320 from the Glasgow Airport.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Headache: Rx – Sex 3X A Day
- Bardarbunga Volcano In Iceland Erupts With Brightly Coloured Lava Under Northern Lights [Watch Video]
- A Jawbone Found In Sydney Beach Has Been Matched To An 800-Year Old Skull
- George, The Goldfish Underwent Surgery To Remove Brain Tumour - Watch Video
- Human Faces are so Variable Because we Evolved to Look Unique, Finds Study
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone