UFO Sighting: Airbus 320 in Near Collision with a UFO, Leaves Scotland Air Traffic Officials Baffled
By Frances Samson | May 1, 2013 11:52 AM EST
An Airbus 320 figured in an almost mid-air collision with a UFO over at Baillieston on the outskirts of Glasgow, Scotland according to reports.
The passenger plane, which could sit up to 220 people, was said to be just seconds away and about 300 feet close from crashing into the flying object as it approached the Glasgow Airport in Scotland.
Members of the UK Airprox Board who investigate reports of near misses have yet to offer conclusive findings on the incident.
The aircraft's pilot was evidently stunned as he reported to the air traffic control officers the imminent risk of collision with a "blue and yellow" object passing below the Airbus 320.
"We just had something pass underneath us quite close. Have you got anything on in our area," the pilot asked the control tower.
The air traffic officials said they got nothing on radar and were not communicating with any traffic either.
When suggested that it could probably be something like a glider, both pilots said it just looked too big for that or even for a balloon.
"We were probably about four hundred to five hundred feet above it so it's probably about three and a half thousand feet (in height)," they said.
The two pilots described the object as "blue and yellow (or silver) in colour with a small frontal area" They could not provide further information aside from the colour since they only had fleeting glimpses of the object.
In addition, a detailed investigation of radar sources also did not produce conclusive radar data that matched the account of the pilot regarding the encounter.
The UK Airprox Board are still baffled even after extensive investigation. Initially, they considered some possible candidates for the unidentified aircraft.
"Members were of the opinion that, in the absence of a primary radar return, it was unlikely that the untraced aircraft was a fixed-wing or rotary-wing aircraft or man-carrying balloon.
'It was considered that a meteorological balloon would be radar significant and unlikely to be released in the area of the Airprox.
"A glider could not be discounted but it was felt unlikely that one would be operating in that area, both due to the constrained airspace and the lack of thermal activity due to the low temperature.
Also, the board considered that a hang-glider or para-motor would be radar significant and that space and atmospheric conditions likewise precluded them, as in the case of para-gliders or parascenders.
"Members were unable to reach a conclusion as to a likely candidate for the conflicting aircraft and it was therefore felt that the Board had insufficient information to determine a cause or risk."
The Airbus 320 involved in the incident has still not been accounted for which airline it belongs.
There are several airlines that fly A320 from the Glasgow Airport.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Canadian Ebola Drug: Tekmira Firm Starts Limited Manufacturing of Vaccine, Available By December; Shares Up
- Final 2014 Solar Eclipse: When And How To Safely View It Plus Where To Watch Online Via Live Stream
- Britons Advised to Brace for Strong Hurricane Gonzalo Bearing Winds Up to 75mph; Affects Flights, Train Services
- MH370 Search Update: Australian Scientist Has Reportedly Found A Solution To The Mystery Of Missing Malaysia Airlines Jet
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop