Dead by 2018: Tablets or BlackBerry?
By Vittorio Hernandez | May 1, 2013 8:24 AM EST
Is BlackBerry Chief Executive Officer Thorsten Heins being prophetic or simply sourgraping? That question will definitely be on the mind of techies and geeks alike after Mr Heins forecast the tablet will be dead in 2018.
"In five years I don't think there'll be a reason to have a tablet anymore. Maybe a big screen in your workplace, but not a tablet as such," Bloomberg quoted the BlackBerry official at the Milken Institute Conference in Los Angeles.
He insisted that tablets are not good business models and within the same five-year period, BlackBerry would "be the absolute leader in mobile computing," selling tens of millions of handsets.
However, BlackBerry's biggest customer - the Pentagon - has already opened the door to other operating systems such as the iOS of Apple and Google's Android despite the tight security system of the BlackBerry OS that the U.S. Defence Department appreciates.
Mr Heins debunked rumours that BlackBerry would roll in May at the company's Live conference out a new tablet after it unsuccessful bid to market the PlayBook.
While his forecast could easily be dismissed as sourgraping, however, the declining iPad profits could be one indicator that his prediction may have a grain of truth in it given that market leaders once thought as invincible - beginning with Motorola, followed by Nokia, BlackBerry and Apple - all fell down from their top post and find it difficult to regain their lost glory.
The BlackBerry Live expo will run from May 13 to 17.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Apple Inc (AAPL) Stock May Reach $150; First Trillion Company Talks, iPhone 6 and Apple Watch Boost Price
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James