Barbie Without Makeup: Nickolay Lamm's Images Go Viral, Raise Questions On Doll's Influence [PHOTOS]
By Zoe Mintz | May 1, 2013 5:07 AM EST
Barbie has a long history of image problems. Whether it’s her disproportionate waist size, job choices or accessories, the 54 year old doll has faced harsh criticism – but what about her makeup?
Nickolay Lamm, an artist and researcher from Pittsburgh, decided to give Barbie as well as her Bratz and Disney contemporaries clean faces. He collaborated with another artist to take photos of the dolls and remove their makeup using Photoshop.
“I think it’s a little bit too hyper-sexualized and I think people don’t say anything because makeup has been on dolls for so long,” Lamm told Today.
Story continues after photos
Lamm got the idea for the project from a viral image that depicted a sickly-looking Barbie that went au naturel.
Thinking it was an exaggerated depiction, he set off on his own “mini investigation” to uncover Barbie’s natural face.
"I hope that my work inspires toy companies to give dolls are more natural look," Lamm told The Huffington Post. "If the dolls look good without makeup, what's the point of putting makeup on them in the first place?"
Maegan Tintari, a Babble.com blogger, agrees.
“I think the dolls look prettier, softer, and more approachable without the brightly layered eyeshadows, impossibly long eyelashes, and bold lips,” she writes.
Kate Anastario, a mother of three girls and a boy, from Sterling, N.J., says if given the choice between the two Barbies, she would opt for the one with the clean look.
“I would pick the one without whore paint,” she told Today. “It’s just not necessary.”
What do you think?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance
- Nude Pregnant Kate Middleton Ala Demi Moore, The Latest Grafitti From Pegasus Street
- What Killed Vincent Van Gogh If He Did Not Commit Suicide 125 Years Ago
- Ugly Truth Behind Kim Kardashian's Champagne Popping Magazine Cover Shots
- Top 3 Nail Art Designs For Halloween 2014
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft