Barbie Without Makeup: Nickolay Lamm's Images Go Viral, Raise Questions On Doll's Influence [PHOTOS]
By Zoe Mintz | May 1, 2013 5:07 AM EST
Barbie has a long history of image problems. Whether it’s her disproportionate waist size, job choices or accessories, the 54 year old doll has faced harsh criticism – but what about her makeup?
Nickolay Lamm, an artist and researcher from Pittsburgh, decided to give Barbie as well as her Bratz and Disney contemporaries clean faces. He collaborated with another artist to take photos of the dolls and remove their makeup using Photoshop.
“I think it’s a little bit too hyper-sexualized and I think people don’t say anything because makeup has been on dolls for so long,” Lamm told Today.
Story continues after photos
Lamm got the idea for the project from a viral image that depicted a sickly-looking Barbie that went au naturel.
Thinking it was an exaggerated depiction, he set off on his own “mini investigation” to uncover Barbie’s natural face.
"I hope that my work inspires toy companies to give dolls are more natural look," Lamm told The Huffington Post. "If the dolls look good without makeup, what's the point of putting makeup on them in the first place?"
Maegan Tintari, a Babble.com blogger, agrees.
“I think the dolls look prettier, softer, and more approachable without the brightly layered eyeshadows, impossibly long eyelashes, and bold lips,” she writes.
Kate Anastario, a mother of three girls and a boy, from Sterling, N.J., says if given the choice between the two Barbies, she would opt for the one with the clean look.
“I would pick the one without whore paint,” she told Today. “It’s just not necessary.”
What do you think?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Hello Kitty's Shocking News: She Is Not Cat But A Little Girl Of George and Mary White
- Boxing News 2014: Pacquiao Paints Using Boxing Gloves in Promo for Philippine Edition of Sports Science TV Show He is Hosting
- Photographer Discovers Mime was Young Robin Williams 35 Years After
- How Bass and Heavy Music can Make you Feel Powerful
- Hair Iron Could Spell the Future of Instant Hair Colour - US Engineers [Watch Video]
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans