Barbie Without Makeup: Nickolay Lamm's Images Go Viral, Raise Questions On Doll's Influence [PHOTOS]
By Zoe Mintz | May 1, 2013 5:07 AM EST
Barbie has a long history of image problems. Whether it’s her disproportionate waist size, job choices or accessories, the 54 year old doll has faced harsh criticism – but what about her makeup?
Nickolay Lamm, an artist and researcher from Pittsburgh, decided to give Barbie as well as her Bratz and Disney contemporaries clean faces. He collaborated with another artist to take photos of the dolls and remove their makeup using Photoshop.
“I think it’s a little bit too hyper-sexualized and I think people don’t say anything because makeup has been on dolls for so long,” Lamm told Today.
Story continues after photos
Lamm got the idea for the project from a viral image that depicted a sickly-looking Barbie that went au naturel.
Thinking it was an exaggerated depiction, he set off on his own “mini investigation” to uncover Barbie’s natural face.
"I hope that my work inspires toy companies to give dolls are more natural look," Lamm told The Huffington Post. "If the dolls look good without makeup, what's the point of putting makeup on them in the first place?"
Maegan Tintari, a Babble.com blogger, agrees.
“I think the dolls look prettier, softer, and more approachable without the brightly layered eyeshadows, impossibly long eyelashes, and bold lips,” she writes.
Kate Anastario, a mother of three girls and a boy, from Sterling, N.J., says if given the choice between the two Barbies, she would opt for the one with the clean look.
“I would pick the one without whore paint,” she told Today. “It’s just not necessary.”
What do you think?
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Hair Iron Could Spell the Future of Instant Hair Colour - US Engineers [Watch Video]
- Sydney Opera House Responds to John Malkovich’s ‘Fit For a Circus’ Critique
- Ancient Large Phalluses Gay Graffiti Become One of World’s Earliest Erotica
- Prince William Horrible New Portrait Revealed, Twitter Reactions
- CSIRO Reveals Involvement w/ Mystery Behind Picasso’s The Blue Room
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff