Paris Jackson And Mom Debbie Rowe Reunite After 15th Birthday
By Jill Heller | April 30, 2013 1:07 AM EST
Paris Jackson, the daughter of the late King of Pop, has been spending time with her estranged mother Debbie Rowe recently. Although Rowe famously gave up custody of Paris and her old brother Prince in 2001 after divorcing Jackson in a multi-million dollar settlement, Paris and Rowe have reportedly reconnected since the singer’s death in 2009.
Prior to Jackson’s death, Rowe famously kept a distance from her two children with the pop star. In a televised interview with Martin Bashir, she even admitted to preferring that her children not call her ‘mom.’
“Because you give birth, because you impregnate someone, that does not automatically give you that title of mother or father. You earn the title. My kids don't call me mom because I don't want them to,” Rowe said. “They're Michael's children. It's not that they are not my children, but I had them because I wanted him to be a father.”
“I believe there are people who should be parents and he's one of them,” she added, according to a Guardian report. “We have a non-traditional family and if it makes people uncomfortable it's a shame that they are not more open.”
But despite her “nontraditional” family views, Rowe seemed happy to spend some traditional time with her daughter, celebrating Paris’ 15th birthday earlier this month; which the Daily Mail reported marked the first time the duo had been photographed together since Paris was a young child. The tabloid reported that while Rowe has yet to spend time with her older son, Prince, she has developed an “intense bond” with Paris, especially over the past several months.
Just weeks later, the mother and daughter were spotted out again grabbing lunch together in California on Sunday. The 15-year-old, who recently shed her long locks for a dark, asymmetrical bob tinged with ombre, donned a camouflage army jacket, paired with jean cutoffs and a Kurt Cobain t-shirt and smiled for paparazzi.
Jackson’s grunge-inspired wardrobe seems to reflect her budding interest in music. The teenager often shares photos of herself and friends playing music together, and has displayed a keen affection for Nirvana in particular, frequently tweeting song lyrics by the band and flaunting a manicure that featured the band’s logo.
In a recent interview Paris said that she enjoys spending time with mother, especially as it affords her an opportunity to travel without a security detail. “'When I'm with my mom, we don't really have security with us. Which is really nice,” she said.
Her uncle, Jermaine Jackson, also voice approval of the relationship, telling TMZ, “'I think that's wonderful. The kids need their mum. I think it's great. That's their mother. That's wonderful. That's a good thing.”
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans