Overboard In Pacific: British Man Missing at Sea, Hawaii U.S. Coast Guard Rescue Inexperienced Sailor
By Rebecka Schumann | April 30, 2013 1:02 AM EST
There was trouble on the open seas this weekend, but this time it wasn’t a cruise ship. A British man who was reported missing Sunday after falling overboard in a remote area of the Pacific Ocean in Hawaii whereabouts are still unknown.
The man, whose identity remains unknown, has reportedly spent more than 15 hours at sea after falling from a 38-foot boat 2,000 miles from Oahu the U.S. Coast Guard released in a statement Sunday. Coast Guard spokesman, Petty Officer Eric J. Chandler, said the 35-year-old male was last seen conscious and wearing a yellow life jacket.
The man’s shipmate reported the man missing at 11:30 p.m. Saturday who told Marine Rescue Coordination Center officials in Falmouth, UK that he wasn’t an experienced sailor and needed assistance.
Due to strong North Pacific winds reported peaking 25 mph, and a 6 foot-high waves, the Coast Guard utilized U.S. Navy services to locate the individual using the USS Peleliu ship and two aircrafts, one of which located the boat and the male who reported the incident. The overboard male’s location has yet to be found.
“It’s real challenging out there. We can’t get our cutters out there,” Chandler told the AP, who said boats lost in that section of the Pacific is not surprising.
“People sail pretty often pretty far out of reach. I don’t think it’s that unusual,” he said.
The purpose of the two men voyage is unclear according to authorities.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- 5 Marketing Nuggets We Can All Learn From Lady Gaga