Overboard In Pacific: British Man Missing at Sea, Hawaii U.S. Coast Guard Rescue Inexperienced Sailor
By Rebecka Schumann | April 30, 2013 1:02 AM EST
There was trouble on the open seas this weekend, but this time it wasn’t a cruise ship. A British man who was reported missing Sunday after falling overboard in a remote area of the Pacific Ocean in Hawaii whereabouts are still unknown.
The man, whose identity remains unknown, has reportedly spent more than 15 hours at sea after falling from a 38-foot boat 2,000 miles from Oahu the U.S. Coast Guard released in a statement Sunday. Coast Guard spokesman, Petty Officer Eric J. Chandler, said the 35-year-old male was last seen conscious and wearing a yellow life jacket.
The man’s shipmate reported the man missing at 11:30 p.m. Saturday who told Marine Rescue Coordination Center officials in Falmouth, UK that he wasn’t an experienced sailor and needed assistance.
Due to strong North Pacific winds reported peaking 25 mph, and a 6 foot-high waves, the Coast Guard utilized U.S. Navy services to locate the individual using the USS Peleliu ship and two aircrafts, one of which located the boat and the male who reported the incident. The overboard male’s location has yet to be found.
“It’s real challenging out there. We can’t get our cutters out there,” Chandler told the AP, who said boats lost in that section of the Pacific is not surprising.
“People sail pretty often pretty far out of reach. I don’t think it’s that unusual,” he said.
The purpose of the two men voyage is unclear according to authorities.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales