Pakistan's North-West Rocked by Twin Blasts Killing Several People
By Vasudevan Sridharan | April 28, 2013 7:17 PM EST
Twin blasts have rocked Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa's Peshawar and Kohat areas in the north-west, killing at least nine people.
The bomb attack in Kohat was targeted at an independent politician, who is contesting for the upcoming elections on 11 May.
At least 30 people have been injured in the attack, suggest local reports.
Initial investigation indicates the bomb, placed on a motorcycle, was triggered by a remote-controlled device. The explosion also wrecked nearby buildings and shops.
Unconfirmed reports said it was a suicide attack, but bomb squad officials suspect the explosives were planted.
Officials said 10 kilograms of explosives were used in the bomb.
The second blast also targeted an independent election contestant's office in a Peshawar suburb, killing three people.
No outfit has claimed responsibility for the attacks yet. Many election candidates are frequently targeted by Taliban insurgents in the region for working with security personnel.
The latest blasts have come after explosions ripped through Karachi targeting secular political forces.
The Pakistan Taliban had claimed responsibility for the earlier attacks in which at least 11 people were killed.
The Taliban had warned that the militant group would launch its "spring offensive" soon.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- North Korea Banker Who Manages Money of Kim Jong-un Defects to Russia With $5 Million
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Nexus 4, Nexus 5, Nexus 7, Nexus 10 New Paranoid Android 4.5 Beta 2 Update Guide
- US And Australia Share Visa And Immigration Information
- Finally, OnePlus One Can Be Purchased Without An Invite; Pre-Order Starts From October