Pakistan's North-West Rocked by Twin Blasts Killing Several People
By Vasudevan Sridharan | April 28, 2013 7:17 PM EST
Twin blasts have rocked Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa's Peshawar and Kohat areas in the north-west, killing at least nine people.
The bomb attack in Kohat was targeted at an independent politician, who is contesting for the upcoming elections on 11 May.
At least 30 people have been injured in the attack, suggest local reports.
Initial investigation indicates the bomb, placed on a motorcycle, was triggered by a remote-controlled device. The explosion also wrecked nearby buildings and shops.
Unconfirmed reports said it was a suicide attack, but bomb squad officials suspect the explosives were planted.
Officials said 10 kilograms of explosives were used in the bomb.
The second blast also targeted an independent election contestant's office in a Peshawar suburb, killing three people.
No outfit has claimed responsibility for the attacks yet. Many election candidates are frequently targeted by Taliban insurgents in the region for working with security personnel.
The latest blasts have come after explosions ripped through Karachi targeting secular political forces.
The Pakistan Taliban had claimed responsibility for the earlier attacks in which at least 11 people were killed.
The Taliban had warned that the militant group would launch its "spring offensive" soon.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
- Celebrities Suffering From Lupus: Facts About the Disease
Join the Conversation
- ACT Party's Demand to Re Consider Maoris Privileges Evokes Reprimand
- Opinion Poll in New Zealand Shows National Party Far Ahead in Popular Support
- “Women should not laugh in public” - Turkish Deputy PM says
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’
- Canada Claims Good Progress in EU Trade Pact Despite Germany’s Defiant Postures
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona, Man Utd to Compete for Juan Cuadrado's Signature as Fiorentina Reveal Willingness to Sell
- Hilary Duff's New Music Video Chasing the Sun Goes Viral on YouTube [WATCH VIDEO]
- LeBron James to Return to Miami, Face Heat on Christmas Day 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report