Pakistan's North-West Rocked by Twin Blasts Killing Several People
By Vasudevan Sridharan | April 28, 2013 7:17 PM EST
Twin blasts have rocked Pakistan's Khyber Pakhtunkhwa's Peshawar and Kohat areas in the north-west, killing at least nine people.
The bomb attack in Kohat was targeted at an independent politician, who is contesting for the upcoming elections on 11 May.
At least 30 people have been injured in the attack, suggest local reports.
Initial investigation indicates the bomb, placed on a motorcycle, was triggered by a remote-controlled device. The explosion also wrecked nearby buildings and shops.
Unconfirmed reports said it was a suicide attack, but bomb squad officials suspect the explosives were planted.
Officials said 10 kilograms of explosives were used in the bomb.
The second blast also targeted an independent election contestant's office in a Peshawar suburb, killing three people.
No outfit has claimed responsibility for the attacks yet. Many election candidates are frequently targeted by Taliban insurgents in the region for working with security personnel.
The latest blasts have come after explosions ripped through Karachi targeting secular political forces.
The Pakistan Taliban had claimed responsibility for the earlier attacks in which at least 11 people were killed.
The Taliban had warned that the militant group would launch its "spring offensive" soon.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- New Zealand and China Decide to Boost Defence Ties
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russian Govt Found Tinkering Wikipedia Crash Info
- Scientists Warn MERS Virus Could be Spread Airborne
- British PM Cameron Urges Tough Sanctions Against Russia
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales