Three Killed, Eight Injured in Explosion at Sivakasi Firecracker Unit
By IB Times Staff reporter | April 28, 2013 6:46 PM EST
Three workers died and eight others were injured when a blast ripped through a firecracker unit near Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu, on Sunday morning.
The incident occurred at around 10 am on Sunday at Ratna Fire Works factory when the workers were making 'Manimarunthu', a mixture of chemicals ued for making fancy firecrackers, according to The Times of India.
"Out of the eight injured persons, seven have been admitted to a Sivakasi hospital, and one has been referred to a hospital in Madurai," a police official said from Virudhunagar district told IANS.
According to Revenue officials, the explosion happened when mixing of the chemicals sparked a fire. The three people died in the incident has been identified as Chelliah, Kani and Marimuthu, according to TOI.
Among the injured, four of them have suffered 80 percent burn injuries and their condition is said to be critical. Firemen had reached the spot and doused the fire that erupted after the explosion.
Since it was a Sunday, the fireworks units in the surrounding area were closed.
However, some workers decided to work on holiday. These people were making 'Manimarunthu' outside the building where the accident happened.
In the past two weeks, a series of accidents happened at the fireworks unit following which officials have planned an inspection to check violations.
"We will start our inspections again to check violations. Four teams each headed by deputy tahsildars will carry out inspection in all the fireworks factories", Sivakasi Revenue Divisional Officer, S Rangan told TOI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Seven Weird Things Banned by Governments
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’