Three Killed, Eight Injured in Explosion at Sivakasi Firecracker Unit
By IB Times Staff reporter | April 28, 2013 6:46 PM EST
Three workers died and eight others were injured when a blast ripped through a firecracker unit near Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu, on Sunday morning.
The incident occurred at around 10 am on Sunday at Ratna Fire Works factory when the workers were making 'Manimarunthu', a mixture of chemicals ued for making fancy firecrackers, according to The Times of India.
"Out of the eight injured persons, seven have been admitted to a Sivakasi hospital, and one has been referred to a hospital in Madurai," a police official said from Virudhunagar district told IANS.
According to Revenue officials, the explosion happened when mixing of the chemicals sparked a fire. The three people died in the incident has been identified as Chelliah, Kani and Marimuthu, according to TOI.
Among the injured, four of them have suffered 80 percent burn injuries and their condition is said to be critical. Firemen had reached the spot and doused the fire that erupted after the explosion.
Since it was a Sunday, the fireworks units in the surrounding area were closed.
However, some workers decided to work on holiday. These people were making 'Manimarunthu' outside the building where the accident happened.
In the past two weeks, a series of accidents happened at the fireworks unit following which officials have planned an inspection to check violations.
"We will start our inspections again to check violations. Four teams each headed by deputy tahsildars will carry out inspection in all the fireworks factories", Sivakasi Revenue Divisional Officer, S Rangan told TOI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where to Watch Delta Aquarids July 28-29 Peak Online, NASA Cameras Spotted Start of Perseid Meteor Shower
- Viral Wedding Photo: Amy Hicks Reveals True Story behind Viral Photo that Created Trending Hashtag on Twitter #westillcoming
- Six-Year-Old Canada girl Dies after Hit by Sedan in Crowded Store
- New Zealand-Born IDF Soldier Killed in Gaza Attack Amid Ceasefire Promises
- Volunteer Teen Rapes Orphans during Mission Trip
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- Killer Whales Gobble Japanese Whaling Crew
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal
- Shocking Video of Pedigree Dog Culling in Bali Emerges [Video]