Three Killed, Eight Injured in Explosion at Sivakasi Firecracker Unit
By IB Times Staff reporter | April 28, 2013 6:46 PM EST
Three workers died and eight others were injured when a blast ripped through a firecracker unit near Sivakasi, Tamil Nadu, on Sunday morning.
The incident occurred at around 10 am on Sunday at Ratna Fire Works factory when the workers were making 'Manimarunthu', a mixture of chemicals ued for making fancy firecrackers, according to The Times of India.
"Out of the eight injured persons, seven have been admitted to a Sivakasi hospital, and one has been referred to a hospital in Madurai," a police official said from Virudhunagar district told IANS.
According to Revenue officials, the explosion happened when mixing of the chemicals sparked a fire. The three people died in the incident has been identified as Chelliah, Kani and Marimuthu, according to TOI.
Among the injured, four of them have suffered 80 percent burn injuries and their condition is said to be critical. Firemen had reached the spot and doused the fire that erupted after the explosion.
Since it was a Sunday, the fireworks units in the surrounding area were closed.
However, some workers decided to work on holiday. These people were making 'Manimarunthu' outside the building where the accident happened.
In the past two weeks, a series of accidents happened at the fireworks unit following which officials have planned an inspection to check violations.
"We will start our inspections again to check violations. Four teams each headed by deputy tahsildars will carry out inspection in all the fireworks factories", Sivakasi Revenue Divisional Officer, S Rangan told TOI.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Ebola Virus Might Reach Australia in Months; Health Dept Says Australia Prepared For Outbreak
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman, 40, Charged after Six Baby Corpses Found in Canada U-Haul Locker
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop