Airbus Inks $8bn China Deal for 60 Jetliners
By Jerin Mathew | April 26, 2013 3:45 PM EST
China will buy 60 planes from European aircraft maker Airbus under a memorandum of understanding signed by Chinese President Xi Jinping and French President Francois Hollande, who is on a two-day visit to China.
The deal worth $8bn (£5.2bn, €6.1bn) at list prices is the first since the European Union and China became embroiled in a spat over the controversial Emissions Trading Scheme.
Under the scheme that was opposed by China, the EU has charged airlines for the carbon emitted by planes. The EU later excluded foreign airlines from the scheme after countries such as Russia, India and the US opposed it, saying it violates international law.
In 2012, Airbus alleged that China blocked companies from purchasing its planes due to the row.
The deal includes an order for 42 Airbus A320 aircraft and 18 A330 planes, and was part of a series of France-China agreements signed in Beijing.
"The A320's high reliability and low operational cost has made it very popular with Chinese airlines. As congestion puts pressure on airports in large cities in China, the A330 is an excellent solution as larger aircraft can transport more passengers with less flights," Fabrice Brégier, President and CEO of Airbus, said in a statement.
As of the end of March 2013, there were about 750 A320 family aircraft in operation with 14 Chinese airlines, and more than 110 A330s in operation with a further six operators, according to Airbus.
In China, big-ticket purchases of foreign aircraft are controlled by the government. Aircraft makers such as Boeing and Airbus expect China to rival the US as their biggest market over the next two decades.
The deal is also expected to boost trade links between China and France. French trade deficit with China amounted to $34bn in 2012, which Paris says is unsustainable. In addition, France accounts for just 1.3% of China's foreign trade, while rival economy Germany accounts for about 5%.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015