Charities Raise Millions For Boston Bombing Victims; How To Donate Safely Online
By Charles Poladian | April 22, 2013 11:56 PM EST
In the wake of the Boston Marathon Bombing on Monday, charities have been raising money for Boston bombing victims. Through One Fund and crowdfunding, more than $12 million has been raised for victims.
GoFundMe has donation pages for 25 different families while pages include runners donating the funds raised to the One Fund. Some families, such as the fund for Jeff Bauman or the Celeste and Sydney Corcoran Page, have raised more than $500,000 in the seven days since the Boston Bombing. In total more than $1.5 million has been raised through GoFundMe.
GiveForward also has a similar outpouring of supports as the crowdfunded charity site has helped raised more than $800,000 for 15 families affected by the Boston bombings. The charity pages not only provide an easy-to-navigate interface that lets donors contribute to Boston victims it also provides a space where the families and victims can share their stories, provide updates and connect with those contributing to recovery funds.
Other crowdfunding efforts, such as the “Stay Strong Boston” t-shirt campaign, created by Teespring, also contributes to the One Fund charity set up by Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick and Boston Mayor Tom Menino in the wake of the Boston Bombing.
Being the most recognized charity, One Fund has raised more than $10 million following the Boston Bombing. Efforts such as the one by Teespring and other fundraising efforts have led to millions of dollars being contributed to Boston victims. Companies, individuals, philanthropists and local business have all contributed to the One Fund as many Boston bombing victims remain hospitalized while other victims are facing thousands of dollars in medical expenses or in lost wages.
John Hancock Life Insurance, which is headquartered in Boston, Mass., donated $1 million to One Fund. Other individuals and organizations have donated their time to streamline the donation process associated with One Fund and as Mayor Menino remarks, “We are one Boston. We are one community. As always, we will come together to help those most in need. And in the end, we will all be better for it.”
If individuals want to donate, be wary of organizations claiming to be charities for Boston victims and to make sure any organization is credible before funding the project. The Federal Trade Commission, or FTC, has issued an alert to individuals wanting to donate to Boston victims. The FTC alert offers tips and other resources that will let donors choose a legitimate charity organization.
Mashable has a list of recognized charities donating to Boston victims, as well as sites to check out if a charity organization is reputable, while NBC News notes some crowdfunding charity sites, including GoFundMe and GiveForward, do take out fees from the money raised for Boston victims while other sites, such as YouCaring, do not. GoFundMe, YouCaring and GiveForward all vet the donation pages and any objections or concerns raised by donors leads to an immediate suspension of the campaign while the site investigates the claims.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6